1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Opinions of the Ferris full suspension mowers

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by SL&L, May 9, 2004.

1. SL&L

SL&L LawnSite Member

I own a commercial lawncare business that specilizes in large acreage accounts. I,m considering one of the ferris 72 inch mowers with full suspenision. Has anyone out there used one of the 4000 or 5000 series? I'd appreciate your opinions. Also, has anyone tried the Cat diesel offered in the 5000 series?
  2. Tonyr

Tonyr LawnSite Bronze Member

I demoed the 3000Extreme last year and loved it, looked at the 5000 diesel and just wanted one so bad, just couldn't afford it :(

I didn't demo it, but spent quite some time discussing it with my dealer, I do acreage mowing now and large lawns so it would of been an over kill so I bought the new Toro model gas, but if I can find a market with constant huge jobs, I will be looking at the 5000 Ferris again for sure, very nice machine, very nice.

The Kubota will be a contender too....
  3. CutsLawnCarePlus

CutsLawnCarePlus LawnSite Member

I have a 3000 Zx extreme 27 horse. As far as the 5000 goes I have used one and you better have some big yards for this hog. This is my first year with Ferris and I have been nothing but disappointed. As far as the suspension goes it great, just dont put a bagger on the machine, with the bagger the suspension has to be tightened right down and is not any better then any other machine, I bag everything so I wasted money on something that does not work for me, Secondly Ferris does not make a stripe kit yet, though one is supposed to be out this fall, I made my own with a piece of rubber, and before that the stripes sucked, A MTD could lay a pipe better then this thing. Thirdly the 61 deck scalps more then a indian. I heard a lot of good things about Ferris but wish I would have heard some of these things before I bought mine.
  4. easycareacres

easycareacres LawnSite Senior Member

Hi I also trialed the ferris with a new deck design which is usless. It was a rear discharge that never works good.
    Reason grass acumilates under wheelarches engine, also the usleess belt system ready to be hooked, brocken, snapped from unlevel ground banks etc. Shame as I thought the ferries was the nicest one out. With alot of suspension, body tip on banks sideways, sudden stops rear heels up. Makes one travel faster not relizing bolts still snap heeeeee. Loved the cat on it.