1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Opinions of these trucks.

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by Oakleaf landscape, Sep 16, 2012.

1. Oakleaf landscape

Oakleaf landscape LawnSite Senior Member

So i'm looking to buy a 7.3L Powerstroke. I have a 8.5x20 enclosed trailer that we pull everyday. Currently i'm getting about 9-10mpg with my Silverado 6.0 GAS. Iv found a few F350-F450s that i'm interested in.

I like the 450 cause it's cheap and has a flat bed. (Tired of hand loading pallets) Only bad is it has 300k miles. I was thinking of just rebuilding the motor but I'm not sure how much that will be. Let me know guys. Also a budget of around 10k.
  2. P.Services

P.Services LawnSite Fanatic

you can find lower mile f-450 crew cab dumps ( ex-brickman trucks) in the 6-10k range all day long. They are great trucks and you would be a fool to not buy a dump. The crew cab is super nice to throw tools and workers in.
  3. Fwilamosky

Fwilamosky LawnSite Senior Member

only problem with any truck over f-350 or 3500 is that it will require a CDL license since it will be over 10,000 gvwr at least that's how it will is in ohio. meaning a higher insurance rate, title, taxes, plates

if you're pulling that large of a trailer i wouldn't buy a gasser
  4. Oakleaf landscape

Oakleaf landscape LawnSite Senior Member

5. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

That should be a nice truck for what you are using it for. HOWEVER, it is WAY OVERPRICED. Around here, that truck will sell for $6500 plus or minus a little. I don't know the market in your area, but it seems way overpriced for a truck that age.
  6. mowcrazy

mowcrazy LawnSite Senior Member

Are you pretty sure of this???? Im not questioning you because I think your wrong but Im in ohio and was looking at one of the npr trucks but is a 4500. I would need cdl for this truck in Ohio??

THEGOLDPRO LawnSite Fanatic

8. LibertyFarmLandscaping

LibertyFarmLandscaping LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NE TX

In TX as long as your under 26k reg weight it doesn't matter what the vehicle is as long as there is no air brakes on it.
  9. Marek

Marek LawnSite Bronze Member

If you are getting that put of your gas motor then stick with it. A 450 w/4:88 rears might get the same on a good day
  10. Duffster

Duffster LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Midwest

You don't need a CDL until over 26k GVWR.