Opinions on 2003 Ford F-250 Super Duty

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by qualitylandscaping, Sep 28, 2003.

1. qualitylandscaping

qualitylandscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm thinking about buying a new Ford F-250 super duty sometime between now and the spring. I recently sold my Toyota and Ford P/U to save for college and upgrades.. I would like opinions from those of you who own one..

Exact model I'm looking at is 2003 F-250 Superduty XLT Reg. Cab 4x4..

-keyless entry & security system
    -6.8L EFI V10
    -4 speed automatic
    -4.30 axle w/ limited slip
    - AM/FM stero w/ 6-disc CD changer
    -Trailer hitch
    -Sliding rear window

Quoted $31,500 by local dealer.. That is without the Ford Rebates and Kodak X-Plan (10% discount)..
  2. phillylawnking1

phillylawnking1 LawnSite Member

You can probelly get a leftover powerstroke for a little cheaper.
  3. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

get the diesel. it may cost more out front and be more expensive to maintain, but it will be cheaper to operate and last longer.
  4. edrenckh

edrenckh LawnSite Member

I have one. '03, F350 crew cab, 7.3 PSD. Get the diesel. Get the F350. Not much more in price. Here in MN the plates are much cheaper on a 1-ton. Resale will be better.

Not as many go out with gas engines, ~60% I believe are diesels. Go to the thedieselstop for more info. Stay away from the 6.0, nothing but problems so far.

Don't pay any more than invoice price. Go to edmunds or the ford site to find out the invoice price.

Mine gets 16 MPG empty on the freeway, ~11 pulling the trailer.

The V10 will get 6 MPG.

If you need to save money, skip the CD changer and key-less remote. You can get them after-market much cheaper.

You are in Rochester, NY. You better get a PLOW package!!
  5. NCSULandscaper

NCSULandscaper Banned

Why waste money on all the extra fancy options for a work truck?
    Its gonna get scratched, torn up and worked hard so go with a stripped down work truck.

Dont get the V-10, heard a bunch of problems with it. I have the 5.4V-8 in mine and it does just fine. If you have an extra 5k to blow on the diesel and do alot of heavy hauling then go with the diesel however the mileage is about the same for the 6.0 diesel and 5.4 gas. Contrary to what some say the 6.0 diesel is an excellent engine and so is the 7.3 diesel.

I think my 2003 F-250 cost $24,000 after tax, tags, and title.
  6. EagleLandscape

EagleLandscape LawnSite Platinum Member
    Male, from Garland, Texas

Hey qualitylandscaping, that's kinda the same truck that I'm getting. I look at this way, it is my work truck, and my daily driver. Consider how much you would pay for a truck, and a regular vehicle just to drive around town?

I'm getting the 2003 Ford F-250. Crew Cab, XLT, 6.0L diesel, 5sp auto transmission, short bed.

They list here for 42K, but I got a friend at a ford dealsership to get it down to 31k for me.

Those are incredible trucks, with the new 5sp tranny, they produce up to 560 ft lbs of torque. Although the chevy DuraCrap engines get like 340hp, and the ford only gets 325, but whats 15hp gonna kill ya? Oh and on the highway, the 6L gets 22 miles to the gallon.
    Plus with the deisel, you can leave your truck running at job sites. Since I'm only at a yard for about 10 mins or so, I'm just going to leave my truck running. Instead of this year turning off my suburban every yard I came to, then firing it back up.
    Hope this helps, let me know if you have anymore questions.
    Also the MEtallic paint has a higher resale value.
  7. qualitylandscaping

qualitylandscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

Thanks for the replies guys..

I want to go with the options because this will also be used as my personal vehicle.. I take girls out all the time and don't want to haul them around in a truck with no cd-player etc.. I'm basically ready to buy my dream truck and I want it to have everything I've always dreamed of, because I won't be spending that much again until I buy a house, lol:D

I can't justify the 6.0 diesel but I will definiently go down to the V-8 if the 10 is really that bad. I want to get the security system because I don't want all of the new stuff to get stolen. Parking it at school everyday isn't very appealing without it..

Just considering the choices right now.. Nothing is final.. Just starting to get into this purchase since I have money from all the stuff I sold.
  8. thfireman

thfireman LawnSite Senior Member

9. sildoc

sildoc LawnSite Silver Member

Just checked my local dealer. f-250 stripped with auto 5.4l v8 19.900. oh ac is 500 more . I like the 500 option so make it 20400.

Personally here there are a flood of f250 f350 diesel 1990's with only 50-100 thousand miles on them. they run between 7000-15000 pending who what when where and why. I would go with a dentless 80000 mile diesel work truck for 10000 and then sink30000 into a nice f150 super crew with all the bells and whistles to cruz around town in. Heck I can't imagine spending 40000 on a work truck just to get a 5000 dollar dent in it the first day.
  10. edrenckh

edrenckh LawnSite Member

Why not just have one truck, and one insurance payment. Buy a Honda Civic to run around in. It's cheap on gas, easy to park, etc.

I have my F350 XLT Crew and a Honda. A good set up.