opinions on 21" Toro/ Kawasaki

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by dogdad, Jul 18, 2002.

1. dogdad

dogdad LawnSite Member

Any one familiar with the toro 21" with the 4 stroke Kawasaki? I have had Honda commercial hydro's and have not been happy with them. Any info. , good or bad, would be appreciated.

2. rkbrown

rkbrown LawnSite Senior Member

From the people that I have talked to and have seen, those with the Toro Proline usually have the 2-cycle. The usual reason for the preference is that they do not need separate gas cans on the trailer. I have heard that is basically the only reason for preferring them over the Kaw engine. I have heard very good things about this engine. Also, the Toro's mulch very well. I just saw an add in the Thrifty Nickel for 2 two-cycle Toro Prolines (model TV500Z...although I can't find any info on this model) used two seasons for $200 (thats a lot of 2's, lol) ...that is for both. I'm gonna call the guy this evening and see what they are like. Heck, I can't use them, and they are in decent enough shape, maybe I can fix them up a little and sell them for much more than I bought them for.

On edit...They also have the same mower under the Exmark label (Emark Metro 21) with the 5hp Kaw that sells for about $75 cheaper than the Toro. Although I have heard that the Toro has baffles under the deck whereas the Exmark model does not...I have not confirmed this difference, however.

3. ilovethisgame

ilovethisgame LawnSite Member

I myself am a 2 cycle proline ownwer but, I have used the 4 cycle model as well. They are a vast improvement over the Hondas in my opinion. Those hydro Hondas are heavy and lay some mean peel marks on wet grass. They don't mulch for s*it either but, I'm sure you already know this.

-Dave

4. we have both the two cycle an the 6 horse kaw proline toro great machines and they last and last take and beating and keep on ticking.

5. joed

joed LawnSite Bronze Member

I have 21" Proline with the Briggs engine but I have the same Kawasaki engine on my John Deere. That Kawasaki engine is marvelous. It is one of the best engines I have ever used. It is powerful, quiet and fuel efficient. I had the rpms raised from 3350 to 3600 and this has improved the speed of my unit and the cut quality. You won't go wrong with it.

6. proline32

proline32 LawnSite Senior Member
    from 98383

The kawasaki is a great motor. I have one on my John Deere JX85 mower and am impressed with it. I just wish they would offer a gallon fuel tank on that engine.