1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

opinions on 337 excavator

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by skidsteerloader, Aug 12, 2005.

1. skidsteerloader

skidsteerloader LawnSite Member
    from LI NY

Hi I am considering purchasing a bobcat 337 compact excavator, any thoughts are apreciated. Not looking to go over 12,000 lbs, and need to do septic systems. How big of a ring and tank will this machine lift? also are there any particular model years from 98 on up I should avoid? Thanks.
  2. DIXO

DIXO LawnSite Member
    from WV

very good machine but have compared it to a john deere 50 I have a partner how has 1 and 1100 hrs still not 1 problem tons of power work everday hard put in power duct just bought a case cx 31b to run house services works good I guess its what you like I believe I seen a 337 that the boom extended out but whatching when boom was extended out machine seemed to lack power but not sure if it was a 337 it was a bobcat mini
  3. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

I would stay away from Bobcat Mini's wasn't overly impressed with them. I would look into Kubota,Takeuchi,Deere/Hitachi,Cat,Kobelco and Komatsu.
  4. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

Spent a long time on a case mini and was very impressed. Probably the most comfortable machine I've operated.
  5. ksss

ksss LawnSite Fanatic

you will struggle setting a tank with a 337 other than maybe a 500 gallon tank. Not to mention run out of dig depth at around ten feet. I use a 12K Takeuchi TB53 and I can't set the larger 1,500 gallon tanks. You may get more depth out of a 341 (extended reach) however you lifting ability will not be improved. A 10K excavator is not enough machine. Atleast around here. Ideally I would be better served with a 17K machine. I usually just have the larger tanks set with a truck. It costs a little more but since my machine can handle the other portions of the job its worth it.
  6. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

Ksss is right about setting tanks most contractors in this area set the 2 piece concrete tanks with 160 sized machines. The contractor I worked for has a 2005 158 Komatsu it would just pick up half of a 1200 gallon concrete tank.

A Hitachi Zaxis 75US-A (zero tail swing) or a John Deere 80 would be about the right size you can still dig the runs without too much trouble and you still have some lifting power