opinions on 72in ztr

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ialawnmowerman, Jan 7, 2006.

1. ialawnmowerman

ialawnmowerman LawnSite Member
    from Iowa

im looking into getting a new 72inch ztr and was wondering what anyone would recommend. right now i have 2 toro fuel injected 72's we've had several problems with both but when they are up they do a great job, we have most dealers at easy access and price doesn't really matter if we get a good machine that is worth it, and we would go with deisel or gas. thanks for whatever help you can offer.

2. dcondon

dcondon LawnSite Silver Member

I would check out the 72" Cub Tank. I run one and love it!!!!! It has over 800 hrs now and no problems. We also have 2 60" tanks and they too are great mowers. demo one and i think you will be empressed.:waving:

3. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

I agree... and for 2006 they are available with a 28hp CAT diesel.
    But yes, either Cub or Lesco (same thing) is what I would get most likely.

I don't have any idea what the price will be for the Cub CAT diesel, but I think the Lesco with the 33hp Generac can be had for like $7,400 (?) I'm sure that uses a LOT of gas per hour... but it's a lot of mower for the money and mows a lot of grass per hour as well.

4. Mr.Mow-It-All

Mr.Mow-It-All LawnSite Senior Member

Well I demoed just about everything but a toro. I liked the cut of the the exmark, but didn't like the offset deck. I owned a extreme dixie and after 132 hours and tons of trouble the company bought it back from me. That is when I looked at cub and ferris. The cub felt very hard to push and pull the levers. cut was ok but top speed was only 10mph and i have a lot of 4+ wide open acres so the more the better. I ended up with the ferris and love it. The suspension is what really sold me. cut is good and top speed of the IS4500 and IS5000 is 12mph. I got the 4500 with the 28 cat diesel and it has been a great machine. Ferris is a little more pricier than some of the others but to me it was worth it.

Also have demoed a grasshopper and scag. the grasshopper market is saturated around here and I have never been to impressed with their cut qaulity.

good luck

5. tank

tank LawnSite Member

look at the cubs this year they have the pumps for 12mph if you really want to go that fast.

6. ialawnmowerman

ialawnmowerman LawnSite Member
    from Iowa

thank for your replies i will check into the mowers you suggested, thanks also mowitall i was kinda leanin towards a dixie or ferris but if the dixie had that many problems with such low hours i will think twice about it. thanks again to all.

7. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

I would look at the hustler SuperZ as well. You can get one with a 72" rear dishcharge deck and either a 25hp kawi, 27hp kohler or a 28 hp CAT diesel. They are priced good and the deck is really tough! You may also want to look at the predator pro BOBCAT! they have a 33hp generac engine with a 72" deck! They have other options but I'm not sure what they are. I have one BOBCAT already and I can't wait until I get another!

8. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Ferris offers both side and rear discharge, gas or diesel, coupled with independent suspension.

9. jtkplc

jtkplc LawnSite Silver Member

If you're looking to gas, Exmark's new XS for 2006 offers a 35HP Briggs on their 72" deck, that sounds like a sweet mower. Scag also offers the same configuration 35HP and 72". Most brands have an "ulitmate mower". The high HP gas or diesel engine on their 72" deck.

Whatever you get, make sure it's not underpowered, I would look for 25+ HP in diesel, and 30+ HP in a gas engine. Get more HP than you think you need. When I first used a 60" Exmark XS with 31HP, I thought it was too much, a waste, but it's so nice to have and when you go back to a lower HP mower, it sucks.

Always demo before you buy, too.

I've never used a 72" mower, but I'm just pointing out what is available and what I might look at if I were buying a 72" ZTR.

10. Travis Followell

Travis Followell LawnSite Silver Member
    from KY

I agree with Mr. mow it all. Definately take a look at a IS 4500 and IS 5000 Ferris. I think you'll be impressed. Also look at Cub and Hustler as they are very nice mowers as well.