OPINIONS on 99 Ram 3500

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by grassmastersLC, Oct 22, 2012.

1. THEGOLDPRO

THEGOLDPRO LawnSite Fanatic

Better check the fuel pressure then, A new injection pump means nothing if the lift pump isnt putting out, it should never fall below 10-11 psi at wide open throttle.

If it does you will be replacing that injector pump pretty soon.

2. zak406

zak406 LawnSite Bronze Member

Even so that truck here goes for double at least a lift and injection pump would cost 4 g max. Which still puts you around 10. 5 less than I'd get it for here

3. THEGOLDPRO

I would never pay 10k+ for a truck with 240k let alone 14-15k, I dont care if its a cummins or not.

4. zak406

zak406 LawnSite Bronze Member

I don't disagree however the minute kids thought it was cool to own a diesel the prices sky rocketed. If I had a dime for every 16 to 18 ye old kid driving a 07 to 12 Cummins around here I would own one.
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. grassmastersLC

grassmastersLC LawnSite Member

New info.

Positives:

No cracks in the windshield

Replaced in the last year: injection pump, lift pump at same time, valve cover and gasket, water pump 2 months ago, fixed front seal leak, new tires, new brakes.

Replaced around a year and a half ago: all new front end, new stainless toolboxes, stainless accents, LED marker lights, transmission at 180k, new A/C compressor.

Negatives:

3 rust spots right behind the front tires on the kicker
    reverse lights dont work probably a fuse
    needs a new belt
    small crack in dash
    missing antenna (radio still works)
    cracks in the drivers leather seat.

ect....

6. grassmastersLC

This is his new truck; the guy I'm buying the truck from!

IMG_1480.jpg

7. grassmastersLC

Sorry about the picture being upside down.

IMG_1480.jpg

8. THEGOLDPRO

Then yea buy it right now.

9. precision8m

precision8m LawnSite Senior Member

You wont find a better priced truck. Those things are awesome. Spend a few bucks personalizing it to your liking and you will have a long lasting truck for well under 10K.

I have a 24 valve and love the mileage I am getting. Plenty of power. I will keep this truck for at least 10 more years.

10. dareo

dareo LawnSite Member

Check if its a 53 block, google that. If it is, theres a spot that might crack and leak coolant. If its made it 240k w/o cracking its probably good even if its a 53 block.

Looks like a great deal. I'd put in a fuel pressure gauge or warning light. Even with proper fuel pressure, i needed a new VP44 injection pump at 52,000 miles on my 2002 ram and it had a FASS. I decided to sell it for a (much cheaper) 12 valve and not worry about when/if a 1k part will go out. I was very unlucky, and many have gotten 200k miles on a single VP44. Transmission can go a long time at stock power. You can get some cheap Bosch RV275 injectors to replace the worn stock parts and gain MPG+power.

The good thing is he rebuilt that front end. Those can be a few thousand to overhaul if you don't do the work. If he changed the oil more often than every 15,000 or 1 year that cummins will run forever. You may have to feed it front end parts and a VP44 now and then.