Opinions on a 1 ton dump truck.

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by WalkerMike98, Jan 21, 2009.

1. WalkerMike98

WalkerMike98 LawnSite Member

I currently have a 1 ton with a landscape body and two 3/4 ton trucks with trailers. I have been considering selling one of the 3/4 ton trucks and replacing it with a dump truck. I would like to hear from some of you who have dump trucks in service. Thanks Michael

2. Bigred350

Bigred350 LawnSite Senior Member

we have 3 of them. With 11 ft beds. Would not trade them for nothing.

3. PlatinumLandCon

PlatinumLandCon LawnSite Bronze Member

Go bigger than a 1-ton. Period.

4. zedosix

zedosix LawnSite Silver Member

I would have a look at either Fords f550 or gmc's 5500 series. They don't usually cost a whole lot more and they will carry twice the load while still being legal.

5. Lucky Star Lawn Care

Lucky Star Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

Just got myself a 1ton dump and love it..wish i wouldn't of waited so long!

6. wrtenterprises

wrtenterprises LawnSite Senior Member

I have (2), and they make great dumpsters on wheels. We use one to pull a mowing trailer, and one for the landscaping end of the biz. Great to be able to throw misc. yard waste in the back, and pull the lever when you need room. They use more gas, but the convenience, towing, and hauling far out weighs the gas mileage issue IMHO....

7. White Gardens

White Gardens LawnSite Fanatic

I've got an F-350 with an 8 foot mason dump. 2 tons is all I get in there and 4 would be much better, but I'm not complaining too hard. I love having a larger truck to pull equipment with and the dump makes my life easier.

Capacity wise, I'm always looking to replace it with a f-450. I think a 550 is too much for what I do and the licensing is that much more yearly on a 550.

I'm also a fan of any ford with a power stroke 7.3 diesel.

8. Sunscaper

Sunscaper LawnSite Senior Member

Having a 1 ton dump I agree with these guys 110%. Get at least a 450 or 4500 series. You can haul a few ton or a 1-ton but I cannot keep tires on my f-350 dump more than 18k miles. Also, You will stop alot safer with the larger brakes, resale is a little better, many benefits i wish I had known of 4 years ago when i purchased.

9. White Gardens

White Gardens LawnSite Fanatic

I hear you on that, My f-350 dually dump is great for what I do, but sometimes I wished I had held out for the capacity of a 450, and four wheel disk brakes.

Good thing is though, I've got an excellent dump body, snow plow, and could stick it on a 450 chassis.

10. treeman06

treeman06 LawnSite Member

keep in mind though when you get a bigger truck, and then when you put a trailer on it, you will need a cdl, and so will employees.