1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Opinions on a 36" or 48" Walk Behind??

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by merrimacmill, Mar 5, 2008.

1. merrimacmill

merrimacmill LawnSite Senior Member

Hey, I'm going to be buying my first commercial walk behind within the month of March. I'm almost 100% sure that I'm going with exmark, mainly because of the dealer here is great, and the ecs hand controls. On our truck we will have a 21" push mower and either the one 36" or 48". I've never used a hydro model, so I imagine I will try one out at the dealer and see if I can justify the cost difference for the convenience they provide.

The big problem I'm having here is I don't know wether to go with a 36 or 48 as a first mower. I know that a 48" won't fit in some gates, but do you guys find this to be a big enough trade off to sacrifice the extra 12 inches? It seems to me that the 12 inches would add quite a bit of productivity to the mower. But then when a gated yard comes along, I'd have to use the 21". Yards around here can range from a postage stamp, to pretty large. Theres not to many multiple acre lawns around here though. Any Opinions?

2. barefeetny

barefeetny LawnSite Senior Member

i have a 21 and a 44 and a 48 and it works ok

i use the 44 more often because its a easier machine... t bar.... i'll give up 4 inches

36 or 48.. I would go 48 unless your planning a bunch of small gated yards....the 21 will save you from the occasional small gate
  3. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Might look at at the new Snapper hydro with adjustable deck. It is under 4K and looked pretty good. It has integrated pump/wheel motors on each side. It comes in 36" not sure about bigger size.
  4. merrimacmill

I would, but I don't think we have a good snapper dealer around here. I think there may have been one a few years back that went out of business. I used to have a 21" snapper, and it was a nice mower.
  5. capnsac

capnsac LawnSite Senior Member

I know I'll probably get flamed for this, but the 34" ztr series is pretty sweet. I demoed these and these are structurally sound mowers. Granted they don't hold a hill as well as walk behinds, but will do everything that I need and I even get to sit down. In my area you can get a dixon 34" 18hp for 4500 OTD. Good luck hunting!
  6. Zooropa93

Zooropa93 LawnSite Senior Member

I'm not a fan of any hydro walk behind that doesn't have a standard individual pump and wheel motor set up. Same reason I was disappointed when Hustler did away with their old hydro walk behind for the trim star that had IZT's which are normally reserved for residential grade Z's that won't be used daily(used to a be a Hustler dealer).
  7. merrimacmill

Well I went down to MB tractor today. Saw the 36 and the 48 side by side. I'm going to go with the 48". The 36 just looked so small in person and it was sitting right next to the 26 then the 21. Didn't look like it would be a good first mower investment going with a 36" when I already have 3 21"s.
  8. farmboy1285

farmboy1285 LawnSite Senior Member

I think you re making the right choice especially if you re already pretty quick with a 21". There are some yards that are decent sized that I just use my 21" snapper instead of my 32" Wb because its almost as fast to use the 21" instead of unstrapping the 32".
  9. delphied

delphied LawnSite Silver Member

I would never go less than 48. The question for me would be 48 or 52?
  10. Atlantic Lawn

Atlantic Lawn LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Outer Banks NC

48" and nothin' smaller .............size matters