Opinions on a Hustler Trimstar

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by TarheelTLC, Apr 27, 2008.

1. TarheelTLC

TarheelTLC LawnSite Member

I have been looking at a 36" trimstar 15 hp kaw for a while and now the local dealer has offered $2200.00. This is the gear driven. I believe it is a good deal but would appreciate anyones opinion. I can get the everride 36" for $1800.00 but looking at changing to hustler for all mowers.

Thanks,
    Dean

2. tb8100

tb8100 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from TX

Gear driven? Didn't know they made them!

3. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

Those were made for Hustler by Encore. Hustler dropped them from their lineup a year or two ago. I would either bargain for a LOT BETTER price,(since it an old, leftover, obsolete machine), or pass and by a better machine of another brand.

4. TarheelTLC

TarheelTLC LawnSite Member

What would be fair on this mower? It brand new with warranty. On Ebay I almost purchased the everride 36" for 1895.00 but then I have the shipping or drive the NJ from NC. 3 months ago he wanted $2400.00 so it is going down. He also said they would fabricate a bracket for my catcher that I used on my Everride Hornet. My hornet is bogging down in a lot of yards making a mess for me. I only have the hornet and a 22" push. Not disperate but definately could use something immediately.

5. tb8100

from TX

Really? Hustler had Encore make a machine for them. That's interesting. Encore has been making machines for alot of companies in recent years. Says something about their product I guess.

6. Mowingman

from Texas

What it says is that they can not sell enough of their own brand machines, to keep their relatively small factory, in fulltime operation. I think I read where they only have about 50 or 60 people for their whole operation.

7. Mowingman

from Texas

Offer them $1600 - $1800 for it. Those machines were pretty cheap built, kind of comparable to the Chinese walkbehinds we see everywhere now. Except, they were built in the U.S.A.

8. tb8100

from TX

Well shoot, Bad Boy mowers only had 50 people in 2006. They expanded to 125 people in 2007. Now they're well over 130 and growing. The staff count doesn't necessarily mean anything, though Bad Boy only has 2 people in the entire warranty department. That DOES say something about the product.

But that's an interesting idea- they're not moving the volume they want to move, so they approach various companies to build machines for them...

9. WREBELMACHINE

WREBELMACHINE LawnSite Bronze Member

Actually the hustler and the everride were built by encore! And I am having a hard time figuring out why the Encore is considered cheap! I have had there hydro's for years and they have been the most trouble free mowers I have ever had! The gear drives are basically the same thing but gear driven. And if you compare the gear drive encore to exmark and bobcat and I use those because that is the only gear drives I have owned other than toro the encore is a better built machine!