Opinions on bid

Discussion in '<a href=http://www.plowsite.com target=_blank ?>Sn' started by rider1000, Mar 6, 2001.

1. rider1000

rider1000 LawnSite Member

Tell me what you think guys.
    This goes with a seasonal contract mowing/snow removal.
    1.Parking lot #1 69 X 92= 6,348 sq.ft.
    2.Parking lot #2 179 X 150= 26,850 sq.ft.
    3. Dock 79 X 163= 12,877 sq. ft.
    4. Drive 39 X 135= 5265 sq. ft.
    plus some sidewalks figure 5 hrs. to clear?

Bid 2" - $310.00
    2-4" - $511.50
    4-6" - $682.00
    over6" - $852.50 plus salt & magic open P.O.

am I close?? appreciate opinions

2. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

Most of the plowers that do lots are out plowing or have been and are probably wore out and not posting. I only do residential big driveways, but from what I have read here, the lots are where the big money is at. Going by that, I feel you are not charging enough on this bid. I make over 4 times that amount in 6 hours just doing my 61 res. driveways and you said that would take you 5 hours. A minumum 2 inches of snow would only be $60 an hour at this rate. Either lots are not as good of money makers as some say or you are way under what you should charge.

I noticed your other post about nobody answering your post, so I thought I would give you my 2 cents worth and bring this up to the top again.

3. DanG

DanG LawnSite Member

Rider,

I can't see where it should take you that long to do it.

Five hours seems awful long to do that little work.
    How many feet of walks are you talking about?
    Are they next to the lot edges? If they are you can just drive down them with the plow to clear them.

Are they are all located near each other?

It's just about an acre of plowing when you add them all together and if they're all easy flat lots I could see maybe 1 hr to 1 1/2hr do them plus the salting.

Here most storms are in the middle-upper end of your price ranges as far as the amount of snow say 4-6" @ $682.00 even if you took 2hrs to do it it would be around $350.00 an hr.

And I know I can plow an acre alot faster then I can mow an acre.
    I don't know of anyone who gets that to mow an acre(I wish I did). :)

If I did I'd be rich .

Dan

D.G. Enterprises

4. earth works inc.

earth works inc. LawnSite Member

Rider: being close to you somewhat, i would say if you think this is going to take you 5 hours to plow then i would say you are a little low.

i average any where from $100 to $150 per hour. personally, i wouldnt go below 100 per hour.

as to 5 hours plowing it depends on the site conditions. would there be alot of vehicals left in the lot at night. does the loading dock area need to be back dragged. etc.etc.

i would bump it up a little. also price the sidewalks seperatly. most of the times we will clear sidewalks on less than 1 inch. Dont forget the SALT.

5. OBRYANMAINT

OBRYANMAINT LawnSite Senior Member

i agree with dan you have a little over 1 acre of lot which can be done in an hour or so with up to 4" the walks you do not mention amounts ....all lot areas here for me would never go for more than 200.00

walkways .... need more specific info

overall to me seems a little steep but what kind of mowing is involved? that may also have an effect on plow rates if it is a year round contract

[Edited by OBRYANMAINT on 03-08-2001 at 10:52 PM]

6. PINEISLAND1

PINEISLAND1 LawnSite Member
    from WEST MI

Since things are so regionally specific in this line of work, I will give you an idea of our area only. I would compare this to another facility I do thats about 50,000 sq. ft. It is a 2-3 truck hours job up to about six inches. I bid everything here around $125 per hour, and find I am high compared to most of the competition, by a lot sometimes.

My preference would be to get a seasonal price on this, based on average number of events at the trigger depth they request. Multiply by the time you estimate it will take each event, add some for an oops factor, and you have a bid. Usually I offer a small prepayment savings, like 5 %, and get them to pay me the whole shot by November 15.

So, here that would be a $4000-$5000 annual bid, at 2 inches, for the lots. Sign a three year contract, and your all set.

I couldn't comment on the sidewalk pricing, since I dont do any of that here.

If I tried to do that bid here on a per plow basis, my hourly wage would take a hit. They just wouldn't pay $500-$800 per plow, unless it was a big company that was national, not local.

7. dmk395

dmk395 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Ma

So eric can you do 61 res. drives in 5 hours by yourself, or with help?

8. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Rider,

Why the odd numbers in your quotes? Were you figuring a certain $ per hour? 5hrs to clear when?....2 inches or over 6? Forgot your area, but many have said this before, go for at least $150 per hour. Also, what if you get 2 inches of snow, do you charge $310.00 or $511.50? The $511.50 should be rounded up to $525 and so on. No one wants to see that 511.50, too exact sounding. I am not good at looking at #s and seeing it in my head. Those are some big jumps between 4 and 6 inches! Maybe try a 2-4...5-7...8-10...11 and up priced according to storm. How about those sidewalks? Enough of them for a blower? Or just a shovel? I guess there just isnt enough info for us to guestimate for you, but you are on the right track.

9. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

dmk395
    In my post I said 6 hours, that is with a guy running my JD 430 to clean up small areas. I have done them all with just the truck, but it takes 7 hours and probably not quite as good of a job done either. ;)

They are all with in a 1/2 mile radius, so they are close.

10. iowastorm

iowastorm LawnSite Senior Member
    from Iowa

Rider,

Rather than to throw numbers back into your face, I'll simply ask you: If you get the contract, will the numbers that you've bid make you profitable? Do your numbers take into account your overhead (rent/insurance/phone/taxes/etc.) and for other expenditures (de-icer/salt/gas/repairs/etc). So, the bottom line is if you get the bid and you have the equipment to do the work you the time you've allowed yourself and have covered your overhead and left some margin for profit, you'll be fine.