opinions on cat 277b with 18" tracks

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by woodlawnservice, Sep 2, 2012.

1. woodlawnservice

woodlawnservice LawnSite Senior Member

Mainly will b used for grading,landscaping and on turf....some snow removal... not much at all...has 2000 hours and they asking $18,500.... is the undercarriages Any better on these than the smaller ones? I hear lots of crap talk on like the 247 and what not.
    Posted via Mobile Device

2. woodlawnservice

Posted via Mobile Device

3. bobcat_ron

bobcat_ron LawnSite Fanatic

Run like the wind. The bigger B Series are crap, the C series are slightly better. Both require selling a kidney to pay for repairs to the undercarriages.
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. ksss

ksss LawnSite Fanatic

I would tolerate a worse ride and more track noise and get a CTL. The MTL's do some neat things but nothing neat enough to justify what it costs to run them. Then to top it all off, they are nearly worthless at trade in.

5. John_DeereGreen

John_DeereGreen LawnSite Member

If you want the ASV undercarriage, buy an ASV machine.

If you just want tracks, or don't want an ASV machine, buy whatever CTL you like...for some reason the ASV undercarriage does better on their machines than the CAT stuff.

6. ksss

ksss LawnSite Fanatic

ASV built the machine around the tracks and it shows. CAT mounted the ASV tracks to their skid steer and it also shows.

7. woodlawnservice

So..... this is what I was afraid of with the cats.... I been really.leaning towards a mustang, gehl or taki
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. John_DeereGreen

John_DeereGreen LawnSite Member

Hence the reason I love my ASV stuff, and hated the CAT that was before it...haha

9. dieselss

dieselss LawnSite Bronze Member

The older asvs are bad too. We have 4. And 3 are always being repaired
    Posted via Mobile Device

10. DUSTYCEDAR

DUSTYCEDAR LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

i run a 277b it will float on many places that the tacki wont go
    it is a pain in the but when it needs fixed but with larry lugs and some love we got 1800 hurs out of the tracks doing swamp and wetlands mowing
    the stumps mess up some tracks but they never fell off.
    but for dirt work the tacki does just fine.
    the tracks for the cat cost a lot i would not buy one unless you need to hang out in the wetlands.