Opinions on Design

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by zinkjo, Jun 4, 2005.

1. zinkjo

zinkjo LawnSite Member

Working on a front-yard makeover for a client who wants a low maintenance solution. It's a small front yard 40x20.
    Here is my first idea. Let me know what you think.

2. ElephantNest

ElephantNest LawnSite Bronze Member
    from La.

I think the fountain should be in the center of the top garden, and the two sides closer to the road should match. The stone is matched, looks somewhat "off" to me with ground cover filling one, and fountain and shrubs in the other. Just my opinion. Other than that it looks pretty good.
  3. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

I think it looks good.Mabey the trees are a bit too close to the wall and the design might be a bit too formal for the type of house.Too balanced for it,though balance is important,too balanced can overpower a house like this.Like it ok though.
  4. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

You have formal symetrical planter designs, and the planter nearest the house is symetrically planted, but the front two planters are not. It throws my eyes off.
  5. zinkjo

zinkjo LawnSite Member

OK. Customer didn't go for the 1st design. They are looking to sell their house and want to just add some "curb appeal". I've toned it way down, most of the design is based on customer suggestions.
    Let me know your thoughts. The walkway will be flagstone pieces set in something. I was thinking maybe pea gravel. Any suggestions?
    Have to keep the costs down.

6. Garcia Y Garcia

Garcia Y Garcia LawnSite Member

I am curious on what software you are using.
  7. AGLA

AGLA LawnSite Bronze Member

I would like to know why you thought you needed six steps in the first design and now you don't need any. One bad thing about photo imaging tools is that people fool themselves into believing the picture. The road has an elevation that will not change, the driveways have elevations that will not change, and the porch has an elevation that will not change. You either need steps or you don't. If you need them, you need to know how high they are and determine how many fit. You can't just pull 6 steps out of your backside because it looks good in the picture and you can't take them away, if in fact you need them.

I hate photoimaging software when it substitutes proper design. It is great to show what something will look like after you plan something that works. The trouble is that too many people are trying to circumvent the process.

How much higher is the porch than the road?
    How much higher is the ends of the porch to the edges of the driveway perpendicular to the driveway?
  8. surge

surge LawnSite Member

I too am intersted in knowing what software you are using to do this. We are redoing our front lawn area that is similar to this and it would be great to try out different combos of plants, shrubs, rocks, etc.....
  9. zinkjo

zinkjo LawnSite Member

The original picture with the steps was assuming that the grade of the front lawn would be changed a bit. There actually wouldn't be six steps, probably 2 or 3. Customer decided they wanted to leave the slight slope and just cover with a creeping ground plant.

Software being used is Pro Landscape.
  10. DJ Contracting

DJ Contracting LawnSite Senior Member

That would look good in a nicer area, also do they run plow trucks through there seem to me that all that would go to waste after the first snow plowing event. Looks to busy for me, however thats just my opinion.