Opinions on Encore ZTRs................

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by K&L Landscaping, Apr 28, 2005.

1. K&L Landscaping

K&L Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

We are to the point where we need to add a small framed ZTR to our fleet. Lot's of condo complexes with landscapes and various other things to maneuver around. I just figured that I would go buy the JD 717A and be done with it. I went to the dealership to ask about availability and pricing and stumbled across the Encore Z 42" with 17hp Kawasaki engine. This mower looks to be really solid and seemed to perform OK (albeit in the parking lot without blades turning). The price I was given was $4900 plus tax and that is $1100 cheaper than the JD. Does anyone have any experience with the Encore Zs, good or bad? I already did a search and it didn't turn up much on the subject of the 42" Z.

2. Sweetwater

Sweetwater LawnSite Member

STI in Charlotte has a 2004 Wright Sentar, 23 hp/48" for 5800.00!! It is brand new and man was it tempting...good thing the wife was there to hold me back, 'cause I really don't need another mower. Anyway, you might give them a shout. By the way, I am not a sales guy, but I am happy with my Stander and my Exmarks...just don't see a lot of Encores here.

3. packerbacker

packerbacker LawnSite Bronze Member

I demoed that same Z and I thought the engine was to small. I weigh 225 lbs so maybe thats the reason.. Other then that I like them.

4. Jpocket

Jpocket LawnSite Silver Member

I wouldn't get smaller than a 48" deck on a rider

5. K&L Landscaping

K&L Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

Come on fellas, I know some of you must have some knowledge about Encore ZTRs! As many professionals as we have on this board I just bet somone can tell me anything I ever wanted to know about these units. :help:

6. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Yup, wouldn't go smaller than that. Especially not where you live.

Have you seen the 'NEW' Quick Tracks?

I don't know what all you have available to you up there. But it's a given you have John Deere and I know there is also a Hustler dealer over there. I'd stick to that class of mower if I were you. If you want to save bucks, then pick up a Lesco, which doesn't have all the middle-man profit attached to the price.

7. Green King

Green King LawnSite Senior Member

There is a lot of encore in this area and they seem to be getting stronger. The cut is very good and everyone that I have talked to locally has nothing but good things to say about the product and the dealer who sell them.

8. pcnservices

pcnservices LawnSite Senior Member

K&L,
    Check out Encore's website at http://www.encoreequipment.com/ and go look at the X-treme mower. This is a new mower they launched and is a line in between the Z and the bigger Prowler mowers. The X-treme is a commercial mower where the Z's where more focussed on the consumer market.
    Last year I had the opportunity to use the prototype X-treme (we did'nt knew then what the name of it was) and I can honestly tell you that this is a small mower with a big mower heart. My wife spend most of the time mowing with it when we had it and she enjoyed the compact size and maneuverability of it. The quality if cut was also better than my Prowler. I think the other great benefit of this mower is hauling it. It don't need much space on the trailer.
    It also has, like their bigger mowers, the shaft drive which gives you, unlike the regular belt drives, a constant blade tip speed even in thick wet grass.
    Good Luck
    PC

9. Lawnworks

Lawnworks LawnSite Fanatic
    from usa

I had one and I thought it was junk. I would pay the extra money and get a mainstream mower. I didn't like the cut and basic set-up.

10. Media Lawnscape

Media Lawnscape LawnSite Member

You get what you pay for. Buy a major brand from a strong servicing dealer.