opinions on Ferris......

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Jeepster, Mar 30, 2007.

1. Jeepster

Jeepster LawnSite Member

I have 1 1/2 acres.
    Anyone have an opinion on Ferris mowers? My choices are between the new is500z 44" 25hp B&S ELS or is1500z 48" w/kawie 21hp.

Thank you for any replies.
    Dan

2. craglawnmanor

craglawnmanor LawnSite Member

Well, between those two models, I would definitely go with the IS1500Z.
    More rugged construction than the IS500Z, and I like the Kawasaki engine over the Briggs engine any day (although Briggs and Stratton owns Ferris). :)

3. ktb2006

ktb2006 LawnSite Member
    from MKE, WI

I've got a 04 Ferris IS1000, 21hp kawasaki, commercial set up with a 48-in deck for my +1 acres and its been a great machine. If you run a vac system with a PTO off the deck, ther is some power loss but it is nominal. I have alot of flower beds and trees to cut around and some relief (drainage ditch along road) and the 48-in deck was the right choice for my lawn. I agree that the IS1500, 48 to 54in deck, with a Kawasaki 21hp would be the way to go.

Kevin-

4. ktb2006

ktb2006 LawnSite Member
    from MKE, WI

I've got a 04 Ferris IS1000, 21hp Kawasaki, commercial set up with a 48-in deck for my +1 acres and its been a great machine. If you run a vac system with a PTO off the deck, there is some power loss but it is nominal. I have a lot of flower beds and trees to cut around and some relief (drainage ditch along road) and the 48-in deck was the right choice for my lawn. I agree that the IS1500, 48 to 54in deck, with a Kawasaki 21hp would be the way to go for your 1.5 acres.

Kevin-

5. ktb2006

ktb2006 LawnSite Member
    from MKE, WI

Sorry about the double-post. Should have spell checked first.

Kevin-

6. Bueller

Bueller LawnSite Member

I have a 05 Ferris 1000 with 27/61" can't remember if it's a kaw or kohler. Thing has been great. It was the last year before the suspension upgrade, of which I hear great things. Don't really know much about the new Z. I have been looking at a walkbehing though

7. ACutAbovesiny

ACutAbovesiny LawnSite Senior Member

I think the 500 is a residential machine and the 1500 is commercial.

8. Jeepster

Jeepster LawnSite Member

anyone else?

9. Jeepster

Jeepster LawnSite Member

Must be that this is still a first year model and no one has any seat time on this unit?

10. landscape guy

landscape guy LawnSite Member

Ferris make a tough machine even though their owned by Briggs,i have a 36" walk behind and a 1000z and they are time savers and really dependable.:canadaflag: :usflag: :drinkup: