Opinions on first truck

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by windsory, Sep 1, 2008.

1. windsory

windsory LawnSite Member

I'm 16 and I'm looking to buy my first truck.

2003 Chevy 2500HD 87,000 miles $9800. short bed extended cab 6.0 gas
    Beautiful truck but I just hate the color and to tell you the truth I would want to repaint for about $1500.

2003 F350 with 6.0 diesel. 54,000 miles for $13,900 short bed extended cab.
    Though I know 03 was a terrible year for the 6.0 perhaps that's why the price is low?? Otherwise I'd love to have it.

What are your thoughts?
  2. TXNSLighting

TXNSLighting LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

03 wasnt the best year. But there were still good ones. Get the dealer to pull an oasis report on the truck. If it hasnt been in the shop for major repairs then its a good one. If its had major repairs then it will never be good.

Most techs didnt know how to work on the 6.0's therefore making them worse than they actually were.

The Chevy doesnt sound like a bad deal either. Im sure most people on here are going to say go with that one.
  3. Lawnworks

Lawnworks LawnSite Fanatic
    from usa

I would probably do the f350... probably maintain its value better than the chevy. They both sound like good deals. Are they from a dealer?... you need to add sales tax to get the real number. With the way trucks are selling I would make them a low offer and see what happens. Offer 12k on the diesel and 8k cash on the chevy.

What color is the chevy?
  4. windsory

windsory LawnSite Member

I can get the chevy for 9k including all taxes title registration and other fees. It's on the lot at a chevy dealer. It's that chevy burgundy color and I just hate it.

I haven't looked at the ford yet but it's at a large used car lot.
  5. Lawnworks

from usa

Have you checked craigslist? I hate buying from a dealer b/c of the sales tax and other fees, plus you know they are making money off of you and it could be had cheaper somewhere else.
  6. windsory

windsory LawnSite Member

I've been looking at craigslist but it seems that private sellers aren't in tune with the current truck market and seem to be asking even more than dealerships are right now.
    But, I know they have to be LOSING money on the chevy because its been on the lot since march and was originally listed for something like $15,900
  7. newtostone

newtostone LawnSite Senior Member
    from NY

Even if you buy a truck from a private party you still have to pay sales tax and registration. When you register the truck is when you'll pay it instead of when making the purchase.
  8. deere615

deere615 LawnSite Fanatic

I think thats a great deal on that chevy IMO
  9. oakwdman

oakwdman LawnSite Bronze Member

like txns said if the oasis report comes up clean on the ford then I'd go for it. The good 6.0's are awesome engines.
  10. Lawnworks

from usa

I guess it depends on what state you are in... no sales tax in GA if it is from a private seller.