1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Opinions on flatbeds for apps truck

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by jajwrigh, Sep 9, 2004.

1. jajwrigh

jajwrigh LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Martinsville, IN

I know some of you guys used to use these for applications...what are the pros and cons of them for a skid sprayer and granular fert. I am toying with the idea of one because they don't cost much. Thanks in advance.
  2. Dwan

Dwan LawnSite Member

A flatbed is my second choice with first choice as a dump truck.
  3. James Cormier

James Cormier LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Ma

Flat beds are okay, not my first choice becasue it hard to keep fert dry, and on the truck all together.

Plus beds are high, so there's much more wear & tear on your back loading and unloading materials and spreaders.

Also you spray tank is out in the open for all those left leaning soccer moms, You dont want to get on there bad sides, driving down their street with a tank full of chemicals.

I had a flat bed once with a grain body, that was okay it had 3 doors one on each side, but no roof to keep things dry.

I think you cheapest and best be for a new lawn treatment rig, is a enclosed trailer. I have a 7.5x16, that i put my pg's in the side door, and the back doors are swing out so a fork truck can load pallets of fert. I never move bags around and at the end of the day I disconect and leave the trailer at the shop and I dont bring chemicals home.

You can mount your spray tank in the trailer as well.

4. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

I agree with James.

I just bought a new trailer for my business, a 24' V-Nose Featherlite enclosed.

It gets lettered on Wednesday / Thursday then I'll post pics.

It's got a ramp off the front corner, so I can just run the Ultra up that ramp and no longer have to take my mowers off out the back to get the Ultra out.
    James Cormier likes this.
  5. James Cormier

James Cormier LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Ma

Thats one nice trailier you got there 22, 24' is that a Tri?

I wonder with such a long box, how does it handle with wieght to far front of the wheels or too far back. Even with my 16' if the guy with the fork truck dosnt push it in enough and its too much to the rear the truck handles like crap.

During fall lime time, I can get 2 full pallets of lime in the trailer as well as 1 pg.

Jaw, if you got a sweet deal on a flat bed, then go for it, you can get boxes for the side to hold the fert, Im sure you saw the links I posted a few days ago when we where disscussing trucks

6. Dandylyin Slayer

Dandylyin Slayer LawnSite Member

Here is a flat bed we like to work off of.

7. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

James -

Like I said, I'll post pics when it's lettered next week.

However, I have to load the fert in by hand. (I've got a 45 hp tractor to move the pallets of fert right up to the door, but I load them in the side door and set them on the floor.

As you can tell by my earlier post that I don't do too much spreading in one day, usually no more than 20 bags or so, so it isn't that bid of a deal.

Plus, this way, with a 24' trailer, I can move my mowers around in the trailer to keep the weight distributed right.
  8. TSM

TSM LawnSite Senior Member
    from MA

worked off a flat bed for 20 years.

there are some 'pros',
    easy to fill
    everything (pumps, aux. motors, reels, etc.) are easy to get at
    truck is 'more recognizable' as a lawncare company
    liquid apps are more versitile

some 'cons',
    truck is 'more recognizable'...the soccer mom and her misconception of liquids being more toxic
    liquid apps are more versitile...there goes IPM out the window. Not to mention the added product cost doing the same blanket apps on every lawn.
    Speed of application...pullin that hose will slow you down

No offence Dandylyin, but your truck, though it looks to be very user freindly... is kinda ugly? (bottom line is how much $$$does it make for you, i'm just sayin...is all) Fiberglass tanks look so much better than the poly plastics and look good when logoed and lettered.
    So that can be another 'con'. Most flatbed spray rigs are kinda ugly

DUSTYCEDAR LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

it aint a beauty contest its a $ cash contest and if that ugly truck makes the bucks who cares what it looks like it is clean and shiny payup
  10. Dandylyin Slayer

Dandylyin Slayer LawnSite Member

Never really thought of it as ugly, usually get LOTS of compliments, especially from new people calling for service. They will say saw your truck really like it, got the phone number of of it.

I guess we must not have as many crazy soccer moms around here. :cool2:

Tsm why don't you throw up a pic of one of your rigs, we are going to rig another truck this winter, And I would like to rig a sharp one not an ugly one.

Give me something to go by.