1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Opinions on Gator Rator

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by CNE, May 17, 2004.

1. CNE

CNE LawnSite Member

It looks nice and all but ain't it a pain in the butt to not be able to turn with it down? Seems like it would be nearly impossible to line it up exactly straight with the previous row. I have looked at one and gotten a good price from the dealer (I think) $1700 installed on my 60" Lazer, it just seems like it would be a pain.
  2. HayBay

HayBay LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ontario

With practice it gets easier. I will say that lifting it at turns gets old quick. I do a pretty tight z turn at the end of a row, move forward a bit to align ZTR to next row,then reverse for a bit to get to the beginning of new row while I lower the Gator Rator. I am getting better at it. I can aerate 2 acres in like 45 Minutes. I have blown a fuse already, I think I tried to turn too fast when the Plugs were still partially in the ground. Pulls nice plugs, Id say average of 2" but anywhere from 1" to 3+" I have pulled, depends on soil conditions. Big rock in the lawn partially buried is no problem for Gator Rator to cross over while down, just go nice and slow while trying to get some weight back on front wheels so Gator Rator doesnt take all the machines weight over the rock.

Hope this helps you.
  3. GrassBustersLawn

GrassBustersLawn LawnSite Senior Member

I got one last season. I think I paid $2250, so if you can get it for $1700 it sounds GREAT to ME.

I feel like Bryant should PAY ME for Beta testing. On second job the "mud flap" that keeps the plugs from flying up on you broke off. After about 2 weeks the electric arm wouldn't stay up. Would slowly come down to ground. He gave me a replacement and to date haven't had a problem with that.

Takes some getting used to, especially getting in lined up for the next pass.

Pulls a nice plug!

Even with the cost and the problems, it still beats the heck out of using a walk behind aerator. IMHO.