Opinions on getting rid of my truck

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by weed wacker 2, Dec 12, 2009.

1. weed wacker 2

weed wacker 2 LawnSite Member

I have an 06 f250 diesel 4x4. I am thinking about getting rid of it and getting a chevrolet 3/4 gas burner. I like the power of my diesel but I would rather have a gas burner. Are there any inputs on this?
  2. verant

verant LawnSite Senior Member

why would u switch to gas...prolly wont save anything on mpg.
  3. weed wacker 2

weed wacker 2 LawnSite Member

I average around 11-12.5 towing. If I am running around town empty 12-13. Last weekend I went on a trip and got 15. I figured I could get close to that with a gasser.

SNAPPER MAN LawnSite Silver Member

You will only regret it if you do that. Just keep your diesel, diesel is the best thing to have when you are regularly towing. Chevy 6.0's NEVER get 15mpg, and you would be looking at about 7-8mpg when towing.
  5. WH401

WH401 LawnSite Senior Member

Keep the diesel, you'd be lucky to get anywhere near that kind of mpg with a gas engine. I guarantee you that if you traded you'd be back on here in few weeks complaining about the gasser and how you wished you'd kept your super duty.
  6. pitrack

pitrack LawnSite Bronze Member

Keep the diesel if you tow a lot. I will never go back to a gasser, even if I didn't have to tow.
  7. badbart

badbart LawnSite Member

See Jason Rose's post. He's wanting to get rid of his 2500 gasser because of poor mileage. That is low fuel mileage, but the 6.0's were/are a little quirky. Look into getting a tune to improve what you have.
  8. TXNSLighting

TXNSLighting LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

A small tune, exhaust, and, a Air intake will bring that mileage up. You would regret going to a 3/4 ton gm gasser..
  9. Bigred350

Bigred350 LawnSite Senior Member

Keep the diesel. I have a chevy 2500 hd with the 6.0 I get 11mpg empty and just get worse when there is somthing behind it. Pulling 10k i get 7mph on the highway.
  10. unkownfl

unkownfl LawnSite Gold Member

I have a 06 6.0 I get about 12-13 towing in the city and about 15-17 on the highway. I use my 1/2 ton f150 for mowing I thought I would save some money with it being a v6 boy was I wrong. With the same 6x12 enclosed trailer I'm getting 8-10. If your getting 15 on the highway your running about 80+. Get bigger tires like 35's under it and on the highway you will jump up to about 17-18 running 85.