Opinions on Gravely XDZ vs. Cub Cadet Enforcer vs. Ferris IS2000z

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by sevensandeights, Apr 5, 2010.

1. sevensandeights

sevensandeights LawnSite Member

Looking for a commercial zero turn but am wary about buying a used one with 500+ hours. Budget is around $5-6k. I will be mowing about 3 acres of totally flat ground with minimal trees/obstacles.

The three I have checked so far are:

Near mint 2005 Ferris IS2000z 61" with 92 hours and 25HP Kawasaki. It was used by a hang-glider club to mow an airstrip. I could get this for $6200.

New 2007 (yes that is NEW 2007) Gravely XDZ152 52" deck with 23HP Kawasaki - $6000.

New 2009 Cub Cadet Enforcer 54" deck with 23HP Kohler Command - $5800.

Lastly, does anyone know about the new Cub Cadet zero turns with the steering wheels (Z-Force S model line)? I saw one at the dealer with a 60" deck and 26HP Kawasaki for $5000. The deck is fabricated (although not as beefy as the Tank model) compared to the stamped steel version on the old Z-force model. The only other thing I noticed was the front wheel spindles were cast iron but they did have a grease fitting.

Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated!
  2. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

Don't know much about the Ferris, but was a dealer for Gravely and Cub. The Cub Enforcer is a joke. Very poor design throughout. It is just a cheap toy, compared to the Gravely. The Enforcer is really a top-of-the-line homeowner machine, or at best, an entry level commercial machine.
    For a couple of hundred more, the Gravely is a steal. It is built like a tank, cuts great, and is very well engineered. I think the Gravely is a way better machine than either the Ferris or the Cub.
  3. snowjeep

snowjeep LawnSite Senior Member

I have an 08 enforcer that I have had no issues with but has under 200hrs. It has the 23hp kawi and 54" cut. Thinking about selling it because I bought it as a back up and could use the cash. $4k and its yours.
  4. MOturkey

MOturkey LawnSite Silver Member

The Gravely. Will last you forever on 3 acres of easy mowing.
  5. Gunnels Grounds & More

Gunnels Grounds & More LawnSite Member

cub cadet Enforcer.....
  6. Razorblades

Razorblades LawnSite Senior Member

At those prices, go with the Gravely.
  7. sevensandeights

sevensandeights LawnSite Member

Thanks for all the replies. I was leaning toward the Gravely also but the dealer won't budge on the price and the mower has been sitting on his lot for 3 years!

Anything else I should be looking at? The only other commerical dealers I have near me is Ex-Mark, John Deere, and Kubota.
  8. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

That is dealer cost, ( $5,948.77), so you can not expect him to take a loss on it. Suggested retail on it was $8149.00.
    I was a dealer in 07, still have the dealer price book, so I looked it up. You would be a fool not to buy it at that price. Warranty does not start until you buy it, so you have brand new full warranty on that Gravely.
  9. CkLandscapingOrlando

CkLandscapingOrlando LawnSite Senior Member

As lond as it's got a waranty I would go gravely. My gravley 148z tows over 1/2yd of compost at a time with ease. Been running it for 4yr's or so and only problem is the key switch went out and I have to replace hydro belts a few times a year. But I think thats due to the type of side work it does. Like push cars, pull out trees, and move mulch to name a few
  10. BearWise Landscapers

BearWise Landscapers LawnSite Senior Member

I hear good things about Gravely and would recommend that as well