Opinions on gravely ztr

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing Equipment' started by wrangler0707, Feb 18, 2013.

1. wrangler0707

wrangler0707 LawnSite Member
    Male, from Chattanooga, TN

Hey everyone, just figured I'd get an opinion on gravely mowers. Found me one with 900 hours 60 inch cut and 27 hp kawai motor for 3500. Says it just needs some new blades. Just figured I'd get some professional opinions, I've read a lot of great things on exmark, hustler, etc. but if anyone has some experience with gravely I would love to hear some opinions good or bad. Thanks!!
    Posted via Mobile Device

2. chuacro

chuacro LawnSite Senior Member

What year and model #?

3. wrangler0707

Not 100% on the year but its a 260z. Here's the link to it on Craigslist:

http://huntsville.craigslist.org/bar/3604870346.html
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. sparcolawn

sparcolawn LawnSite Member
    from IN

I stopped by a long time gravely dealer last week only to find that he stopped selling them. about 10 years ago he only sold Gravely but he said that in the past few years every aspect of commercial lawn mowing has gone down hill by gravely. It all started with his sales numbers but he was starting to see more of them coming in for warranty work which if you know gravely, that doesn't happen, but he said the overall quality had gone down so much that it just wasn't worth keeping them on board. now he sells exmark and Wright and wishes he would have done it a long time ago.

5. GMLC

GMLC LawnSite Platinum Member

I find this very hard to believe!? Your right though, if you know Gravely this just doesnt sound right at all.
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. kemco

kemco LawnSite Senior Member

Ive run gravely commercial ztr, small 36", for about 5 years, about 900 hrs on it. Never been in shop for problem except to get blades sharpened because I don't have a ztr jack. I cuts very well. It may not be the absolute best cut when compared to a walker or exmark but for the price Im very satisfied. I will buy another.

7. wrangler0707

Thanks for the input kemco!! That's definitely good to know!
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. andersman02

andersman02 LawnSite Senior Member

Im with GMLC on this one, there warranty and customer service is second to none.

One of my baffles popped a weld this spring, called gravely directly. Gave them my serial, model. They shipped my the part free of charge, no questions asked.

As for cut quality, all of our mowers have the stripe kit (mat not roller) and they cut exceptionally well, atleast in cool season grasses. Look at GMLC pics, theyll show you. The xfactor deck is also second to none, although it does like sharp blades and Ive found the factor waved high lift work best.

All of our models are 2007's, I had to replace 1 spindle (only mower we bought used, previous owner stripped it by using a impact air gun), and 1 Clutch (my fault, pulled the electrical wires out)

People need to start seeing Gravely as one of the top of the line mowers IMO, they are made rock solid and leave a fantastic finish.

The biggest thing with all mowers/plows is dealer support though. I've only brought mine in once for the clutch. Youll need them for parts though.