1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Opinions on hearing protection

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by okeefl, Feb 11, 2007.

1. okeefl

okeefl LawnSite Member

I would like to hear your opinions on the best hearing protection. I am a full-time firefighter and already have mild tinitis from sirens and airhorns, I would like to get the muff style that the head piece folds behind my head so I can still wear a hat any suggestions?
  2. MikeLT1Z28

MikeLT1Z28 LawnSite Bronze Member

i've found that the headphone style (peltor) reduce noise the best, however after several hours they get uncomfortable to me. i've been using the foam inserts lately.
  3. LB1234

LB1234 LawnSite Gold Member

If it isn't too hot I were earmuffs. If its really noisy (leafloader) then I'll wear earplugs and place the muffs over those. That REALLY reduces the decibels of the truckloader.
  4. mojob

mojob LawnSite Senior Member

I like the reusable ones. They have a hard plastic loop that you can wear under your chin or behind your neck and soft rubber cone-shaped ear plugs. You can wear these all day long and forget you have them on. I used to wear these when I worked around jet engines. You can find these just about anywhere for about seven bucks.
  5. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

6. jlouki01

jlouki01 LawnSite Senior Member

I have used both active noise canceling muffs and regular Stihl muffs. They both work well. Tried the plug deal.. no good for me. The bone behind your ear needs to be covered up to keep the vibration from harming your ear drum.
  7. okeefl

okeefl LawnSite Member

Wanted to stay away from the plug type also, they just dont work for me. Looked at the peltor styles, but none look like you can wear them with the band behind your head.
  8. okeefl

okeefl LawnSite Member

Just found these on ebay. This is the style I'm looking for.

9. GreenN'Clean

GreenN'Clean LawnSite Bronze Member

I use ear plugs due to there size and comfort I don't want to wear big azz ear muffs especially during the summer when its 100 out
  10. jmurphy

jmurphy LawnSite Senior Member

I wear Peltors i3 with a baseball hat on no problem. I wear them in the winter for the snowblowers also with a Carhartt baseball hat with the ear flaps. i can still hear the Z a little but it needs a new muffler anyways...lol. I really have to reember to bring them to work when im on the Bobcat all day.:hammerhead: