1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Opinions on hiring someone for office management

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by M&MLawn, Jan 3, 2008.

Would you hire someone remotely to do office management?

1. Yes

2. Yes, I am looking for someone now.

3. It would depend the person's qualifications

4. No, not interested

Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. M&MLawn

M&MLawn LawnSite Member

Hello All-

Well we are members of plowsite and starting a lawn care business this spring so thought I would join over here as well. I am the woman behind the man so to speak. I do all the billing, advertising, accounting from my home office. I am wondering if you all would consider hiring someone remotely (not living in your area) to do these types of tasks for you? As I have been doing this for my husband I am thinking I might be able to make my own side business out of this. I have worked from home for 6 years now so am used to it.

-Customer Phone Care (could have a number ring here directly)
    -Accounting & Payroll
    -Online Advertising and Design

2. shane mapes

shane mapes LawnSite Senior Member

if this is to happen , what type of $$$ are you looking @ . or have you thought about that . it sounds good but what would it cost???
  3. M&MLawn

M&MLawn LawnSite Member

Good question. In other office management situations I have been paid by both the project and by the hour. Typically it would be $25 an hour. But if someone told you for $25 they would do all your billing for that storm or that weeks cuttings would it be worth it to you?
  4. Az Gardener

Az Gardener LawnSite Gold Member

I would consider it but my concern with any office person is security, no matter where they are. I think that will be most everyone concern.

I don't understand the mechanics of computers and the banking system to trust anyone but my wife taking care of the books. Anyone who hs been in business for any amount of time knows of someone who has been ripped off by a office worker.
  5. jimmyburg

jimmyburg LawnSite Senior Member

So are you going to start charging your husband for your first client?
  6. M&MLawn

M&MLawn LawnSite Member

Haha I think that he probably pays in OTHER ways dont you?