Opinions on Honda Trimmers and Edgers!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by riley1374, Jan 28, 2005.

1. riley1374

riley1374 LawnSite Member

Can anyone say anything good or bad about the honda trimmers and edgers. I have always had good luck with honda cars and atv's, just wondering if this holds true for lawn equipment. Also is it residential or commercial? Thanks

2. Texas Mower Parts

Texas Mower Parts LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

4 stroke
    heavy

I don't care for them. I think there is a lot of other good brands out there.

3. Turf Dancer

Turf Dancer LawnSite Senior Member

I have 2 Honda Trimmers and 1 Red Max

I prefer the Honda because they run cleaner and they run longer on a tank of fuel. I only had one problem and it was fixed and now it is fine!

4. lawnguyland

lawnguyland LawnSite Bronze Member

I want a honda trimmer (4 stroke)and maybe mowers this year because I want to breathe cleaner air. I'm friggin sick of exhaust of all types. I love being outside and breathing clean air, not benzene and soot. If anyone has experience please fill us in! I realize the trimmer may be a lb or 2 more, but I'll count that as exercise and eat more ice cream when I get home at night.

5. Texas Mower Parts

Texas Mower Parts LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

:drinkup: Don't forget the beer!

6. Fareway Lawncare

Fareway Lawncare LawnSite Silver Member
    from Canada

Honda Has or Used to Have a 2/Cycle Trimmer...It was a Rebadged Stihl FS76...

The 4 Junk is Too Heavy & Too Many Moving Parts To be considered Serious Equipment in Stick Tools.

7. quiet

quiet LawnSite Senior Member

"The 4 Junk is Too Heavy & Too Many Moving Parts To be considered Serious Equipment in Stick Tools."

Disagree. Try the stick edger and tell me that it isn't a serious piece for commercial use. And the trimmers are smooth and quiet. But they're heavy.

Mine are 2 yrs old and have been flawless.

8. Petr51488

Petr51488 LawnSite Silver Member
    from NJ

The guy at the stihl dealer told me that people that use them commercially were bringing them in because they broke down due to not checking the oil. They use them all day every day without checking the oil and it will take a toal on the engine.. i allways wanted one.. but wasnt sure if i should get it or not, but it looks like i will.. they cost the same as the new stihl 4-mix's cost if not less..

9. saw man

saw man LawnSite Bronze Member
    from utah

The stick edger is awesome!! I have sold many to commercial guys who all love the power, which some dont use their walkbehind edgers anymore because of the power of the Honda. I have yet to see one of these back in for repair on the commercial guys.

The 25cc trimmer is very nice, quiet, plenty of power. I dont see that you would not like this unit other than weight! Which it is comparible to others in weight.

10. sildoc

sildoc LawnSite Silver Member

I seriously considered the honda trimmer and edger when I was looking for new equiptment last year. I tried both trimmers they have and the edger. I will agree for every day use they have enough power. However the only 2 cycle item I would have left was the blower. I tried the husky 326lx and stihl fs/fc 85 and 110. I settled on the husky 326lx for a trimmer because of the power, head and light weight. I chose the fc 110 for power and quietness and the fact that it used less fuel.
    I did not choose the honda for two reasons. 1. about 1-3 lbs heavier than comparable trimmers and edgers. 2. The way that the dealer explained how they lubricate. Lubrication was the big factor as hondas system is to whip the crank case oil into a frenzy. Which over time will cause oil to break down quicker. that and having one more oil to check would drive me nuts. I like 2 cycle because you can turn it any way, and you mix the oil in fuel and go go go.