Opinions on JD 325 Skidsteer

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by danmc, Nov 15, 2005.

1. danmc

danmc LawnSite Member

We're seriously considering purchasing a JD 325 Skidsteer - we were quoted 37K for the machine, 78" bucket, 78" brush cutter, enclosed cab with heat and ac, and power attach. For comparison were were quoted 38K for a Case 440XT which only included the bucket, a brush cutter and drive control. Bobcat came in at 38K for a S205 with only the bucket and brush cutter.

I took it for a test drive in the lot it was awesome - very smooth, excellent visibility all sides and rear. We're setting up a demo date...

I also test drove the Case but wasn't a big fan - it seemed awful jerky...

Any feedback on the Deere?

Thanks,
    Dan

2. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

Before you settle on the deere, find out where your nearest cat dealer is and try the Cat 246.

3. Tigerotor77W

Tigerotor77W LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Germany

Okay, there's something wrong here... Deere quotes you a 325 and Bobcat gives you an S205 to try? Did you mean the S250? (That'd be a LOT more acceptable.)

Also, I agree with JonHolland... try out the 252B or 262B for a more direct comparison with the 325.

What do you want to do with the machine?

Lastly :)D), don't buy all of Deere's selling to you. If visibility is so good, try looking at the tires. Could you see the curb or cone without lifting the lift arms? Okay, go ahead and lift the lift arms so that the hinge pin is about three feet off the ground... now you can see the tires, but can you see out the sides now? What about rear corners? Suppose you're digging and want to dump the load in a pile without lifting the boom all the way. Could you do it, as the Deere's lift path keeps the load so close? How much quicker will you go through tires with a heavier machine that turns on all four tires, instead of turning mainly on the front or rear tires?

Just some questions about the Deere machines. I'm not trying to offend here -- I apologize if I did.

4. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

? to you guys,
    after reading these post I've got a case dealer that wants to sell me a XT60
    I know it the old model but its a new skid. Never been a fan of case but the deal he offered has me wondering if I should look into it more after reading about the price for the 440. New Machine with Bucket 22k anything special or just a OK price??

5. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

Mac, talk to KSSS, he owns all case skid's, and loves them.

6. danmc

danmc LawnSite Member

Keep in mind, I work on an 800 acre estate so my needs are a little different than other people's needs. We will mostly be using it to clear brush, carry topsoil, mulch and things like that. We'll also be using it for snow.

BobcatS250 - the price quote from Bobcat was for the S205 - there was no typo there....No offense taken by your comments, they're things I'll look at when it arrives for the demo.

I tried contacting a Cat salesperson but I got transfered back and forth between the same two operators six times before I hung up - automatically lost my sale.....

7. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

I like Deere equipment but their skid steers don't look that well built. I really don't like that loader arm system they use.

The one thing Bobcat builds good is skid steers I would love to try a machine with all wheel steer and the joystick controls.

8. Caribbean Breeze

Caribbean Breeze LawnSite Member

I agree with Bobcat S250, after renting the JD325 for 2 Months, a night out with the guys at Hooters brought on a discussion about why some stupid person in our group rented a John Deere over a Bobcat or Cat. The main complaint was visibility. Most of the guys agreed that yes it was a nice machine but.... not better than Bobcat / Case / Cat.
    Turing on the front tires when loaded and on the rear tires when empty saves fuel and horsepower oh and engine life in the long run...
    Deere makes a nice machine yes, within my small group of Skid Steer users, they agree that at the end of the day, Deere does not top the list in performance or durability. I know that they are agressive with prices...So some reason:rolleyes:
    Try as BobcatS250 Recommended, I could not have said it better.
    Why don't you look at the S220 / S250 or the 262 CAT
    Good Luck!

:)

9. ksss

ksss LawnSite Fanatic

Let me offer a bit of advice on the 440. The first couple hours my guys had trouble grading with the 440. My most experienced operator (other than me) called me at noon and said he can't grade with it. I stopped in at the job at 1600 and he did not want it to leave. I also had the Bobcat 220 delieved to the same job site for comparison (with pilots). The 440 is fast and extremely responsive. If your used to ham fisting a skid steer you will struggle as we did. The 70XT does not have the fine control the 440 has and thus we were working too hard to run it (remembering that smooth is fast). Spend a day on it and you'll buy into it. Although I am a CASE customer, I really can't imagine running the 440 up against anything in its class and being sold on it.

Deere skid steers are cheap on price always have been. Check resale and what you save upfront you will pay on the backside. The 440 really is an awesome machine more power than anything in its class and as fast a skid steer as I have run. CASE skid steers are built very well and are highly productive and these smaller XT and 400 series have excellent visibility.

10. danmc

danmc LawnSite Member

I talked to the sales rep from Foley Cat this morning. He quoted me a 242B, 66" bucket, 66" brush cutter, enclosed cab with heat for $35K. He also has a brushcutter to bring for the demo which will take place on Monday. No other salesman had a brushcutter for us to demo, although the Deere dealer said if we rented a brushcutter to see if it would get the job done and we bought his machine, he would deduct the rental cost from our purchase price. We're going to demo it on Monday. I didn't go with the Case because the local dealership, Powerco in Clinton has a reputation for being horrible to deal with. The salesman was horrible - didn't know much about anything. Ironically, we drive past Foley Cat to get to Jesco which is the Deere dealership. We also had a John Deere 320 quoted at $31K and some change for the machine, enclosed cab, heat/ac, bucket, brushcutter and rear weights....If anyone needs the names and numbers for Case, Deere, Bobcat or Cat representatives in the Bedminster area, let me know....
    Thanks,
    Dan