Opinions on job i have done!

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by scenicexcellence, Jul 28, 2008.

1. scenicexcellence

scenicexcellence LawnSite Member

I just finished this job there is still a bit of work left, as the pave company needs to finish their end.

I used approx.. 350 wallston blocks. 4 h x 12 w x 8 d

and used about 45 sq feet of 4 x 8 standard pavers

I do believe i under charged the job! i think i shouldve charged more. oh well done now! quick guesses of what you would charge. only thing i had to dig out was the satirs the wall areas were already excavated by the paving company.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

let me know what you think!

2. bobhat

bobhat LawnSite Member

How come you don't rock-face when you step down?

3. shovelracer

shovelracer LawnSite Silver Member

Usually you would tell us how much you charged first. Then we can help you from there. I see miter cuts in the corners. Thats a no no.

4. senatorcongressman

senatorcongressman LawnSite Member
    from WDC

All steps should be the same height. The 2 courses in each step shouldn't have common bond lines.

My guess is ~$6k. But I still would have you back to re-do the corners, and the steps.

BTW what is that big post with the white drainage line?

5. bobhat

bobhat LawnSite Member

Pretty sure it's the eavesdrop. Yeah but those mitre cuts are pretty ugly

6. scenicexcellence

i glued the corners together with pl premium. and i only charged 3700 for this job which was way to low and was hurried to do the job. and the step down i don't do the rock face cause i don't think it looks clean. i wanted to do turn ins bu the customer didn't want to pay for it.

how would you suggest i do the corners? if they were curved in the corners would look better but the is the way they wanted the corners at 90 degree angles. if you have suggestions on how to do it better next time let me know i have another job coming up like this one.

and yes that is the eave there and the white tube is non perferated weeping tile. reason for no perferated is that then the walk way would not sag in the area.

7. KAT_Ayanami

KAT_Ayanami LawnSite Member

Omg... Omg.... Omg....

I am not the best with pavers or gravity walls.... but....

Why did you cut the corners instead of creating/buying some?

Where are the risers on the steps?? Did you use all landings???

Why is the "riser" on the step further out than the landing???????????? (probably because you used all landings)

Why are the steps joints aligned?

I am not going to even ask about geogrids and stuff...

You are just SO lucky the owner has no clue about this type of job... If not, you would be taking half of that work out.

Sometimes owner do not want to pay what the work is worth. If that is the case, then say: "Sir, I cannot do it for that price".

In my case, I rather not compromise the quality of my work for just making $3700.

But hey, Im not trying to bash on you.

This is only my opinion.

*trucewhiteflag*

8. scenicexcellence

the wall is only 3 feet high and there are no corners that you can buy for this type of block. and yes every stair is basically a landing! geogrid is not required for only 3 feet high.

I would appreciate you to suggest some things rather than just tell me what is wrong. cannot fix anything if i don't know what to do to it.

Normally i would curve the corners at the stairs so it would look beter, but, this costs more! Also the retaining wall was put in earlier and then a week later the stairs were added. this was because i wasn't notified they wanted it all at the same time.

I don't remember why i did the joints in the stairs the way i did. Next time i will run it right through and split the joints.

I would really appreciate the help and not just the critics.

9. KAT_Ayanami

KAT_Ayanami LawnSite Member

You are right on that. My bad.

Now.

I am sure that there must be a corner piece that they sell. If not, you can chisel one to make a rough side finish. I do not know how possible it is on this collection, but I am SURE they must have a way, just contact the manufacturer.

Same for the steps. They must have a shorter piece that would work fine as a riser, alowing the landing to go a little further for the overhang.
    If not, this should also be possible by chiseling.

Now, you never run a joint straight like that AT ALL. You must alternate the pieces like if they were blocks or bricks for them to tie correctly.

Finally (because I know what you are going to answer) If there is NO way to create corners nor steps (which is unlikely) select another collection to build. And if you want to use that one, and need to do it yourself, just charge for the extra time and pieces that might break.

Like I said before, if the owner does not want to pay for your work, then say: "I cannot do it for that price". And come up with another alternative (like timber).

And I do not know about the geogrid, that depends on the county, but the wall is taller than 30", so I am sure that they required some permit or something at least. The county will tell you what does it need to have.

I hope this was more helpful and less harming.

Kat.

10. zedosix

zedosix LawnSite Silver Member

Opinions are good, only you should of asked before you went ahead and did the job, rather than do the job and ask us what we think after its too late. Its likely one of your first jobs so given that its not bad, I don't think you over charged your customer because likely he will be spending money not to soon down the road to fix the water problems that will likely occur. Mitred corners are not cool, overlapping joints on the steps not cool either, and you should really watch your bond lines. Stand back once in a while and get a look at what your doing "from the curb". Don't mean to be mean, but you can learn from what the guys are telling you here. Your work will only get better as time goes on, and your estimating. Be cool.