Opinions on John Deere please?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Zeus661, Aug 1, 2005.

1. Zeus661

Zeus661 LawnSite Member
    from Ohio

I am looking for comments and opinions on the John Deere model 757 and 737 zero trun mowers. Thanks

2. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping LawnSite Gold Member

i don't know specifically about the mower but i know that there parts departments a parts turnaround is great! GOOD LUCK

3. RKISTNER1

RKISTNER1 LawnSite Member

Do a thread search lots of good info here.

4. soccerlawn

soccerlawn LawnSite Senior Member

I got a 797 a couple of weeks ago and don't have any regrets, I absolutlely love the cut, handleing, and stability.

Sorry about the spelling.

5. QualityLawnCare4u

QualityLawnCare4u LawnSite Gold Member

I have a 737 and it is a great mower, great cut and have had no problems.

6. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

Hands Down the JD 757 is one fine, fine mower and you will LOVE the 7 Iron deck!

7. chefdrp

chefdrp LawnSite Bronze Member

i have a 737 and i like the seat on the mower. The cut is ok if you dont really want stripes. It dosent stripe well stock. It does an ok job. The cut is very good over all. Cuts wet gras well. I have the mulch kit for the 54 inch deck and its a pain in the @ss to put on and take off.

8. bigcutup

bigcutup LawnSite Member

I have a John Deere 737 with 54" deck. I have recently had a problem cutting Buckhorn. It seems after I cut a yard with heavy buckhorn, ( very common in the Southern Missouri area), ther is a lot of it that stands back up. I have slowed down to almost walk behind speed, but the problem persists. Some times, I almost have to cut the yard twice to get all the buckhorn cut. I have wondered if it is because John Deere has the slowest blade speed of any of the ZTR's I looked at on the market.(17,000 fpm). In regular grass, it cuts well. During hot dry weather, when buckhorn really grows best, I just plan on slowing down & cutting a lot of area twice. I have been running OEM high lift blades, & I am also wondering if the high lift blades create enough turbulence under the deck, that tall, stemmy weeds don't stand back up after the leading edge of the deck pushes them over. I may try a set og Gator Blades & see if they do any better. All in all, It is a good unit. John Deere offered the best complete package, especially Dealer support in this area.
    bigcutup

9. DLCS

DLCS LawnSite Platinum Member

I have 2 757's and I love them. No major problems with either one and they stripe excellent. For those who say they don't stripe, you need to level your deck. Also, for those having problems cutting weeds, check your rpms you should be getting 3600, with no load. I have to reset mine at least once a year due to the linkages on the kawasaki engines stretching. If you don't know how, i can sho you. The only time I have had cut quality issues is when my rpms dropped.

10. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

Now I don't mean to be telling tales outa school, but you guys that claim a JD ZTR won't stripe are doing something bad wrong then! :dizzy:

The below pic is stripes from a JD 757 60" with NOTHING, Nada, NOthing on it, only proper deck adjustment annd tire pressure. Heck it is even with the factory stock hi lift blades even..........

Mvc-024s.jpg