OPINIONS on John Deere stand on

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by B G Property Services, Apr 4, 2006.

1. B G Property Services

B G Property Services LawnSite Member

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I am considering a John Deere stand on, 2002 , 54 inch deck with a 23 horse kawasaki. Does anyone have any opinions or experience with John Deere's stand on's? I am wondering how they cut, durability, and how easy mowing straight lines is. Any opinions will be helpful. Thanks alot

2. bntt68

bntt68 LawnSite Senior Member

Love It !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 647 Quick Trak

3. mowpronj

mowpronj LawnSite Member

i have one of those mowers at my full time job. I think it cuts great, the only problem i have with it is on inclines, it is very hard to keep the front of the mower from wanting to go down the hill. Hope that helped

4. redoak77

redoak77 LawnSite Senior Member

How fast can you mow with a quick trak. Is it much faster than a walk-behind? how bout much slower than a ZTR?

5. Watkinslawnservice

Watkinslawnservice LawnSite Senior Member

I have an old style Great Dane and while it is probably slower than a lot of new ZTRs it is definately faster than a walk behind.

6. instyle

instyle LawnSite Senior Member
    from Canada

I have 2 quik Trak 647A's. They are great, they are plenty fast, I have mulch kits on both of them, but I am not real impressed with the cut. I am sure without the mulch kit it would be better. Th 7-Iron deck is supposed to have amazing lift, but the mulch kits don't allow for it. I am going to fab up a bagger system for the tops of the deck soon.
    On one machine I mounted a sprayer tank and boom. It works the exact same way as a z-spray. I love that option.
    Other than that, they are small and manouverable. I have two inside my 16' trailer and still have plany of room. I can't compare to a rider but all in all I like the quik Trak. They get alot of attention also,

7. MNBOY

MNBOY LawnSite Member

I really don't care for mine much. I have the 657. Works great on flat surfaces but the slightest incline/decline it really slides a lot. I was going down a small decline on the side of a house the other day. The decline went to the right slightly more than the left. Well, the mower wanted to go to the right a lot more than to the left. I tried to steer it but the rear wheels just spun. It finally stopped about 1 inch shy of a chain link fence. I really felt like an idiot. Luckily I was able to get off and adjust the front wheels a bit in the opposite direction and then had to crank it to the left full speed to just get out of there. Good concept for a mower, but bad producer on small hills. I'm getting a real Z next year. Gotta save up for it though:confused:

8. LorentzLawnSnow

LorentzLawnSnow LawnSite Member

i have a 657. great mower, will cut even the tallest thickest wettest grasses. you almost need to make a 3rd trim round before you start striping or it will blow into your driveway. it really seems to shoot farther than anything i've ever used before. the hill stability is a bit of a sore spot especially compared to the wright standers. but it is manageable once you get used to the machine. all in all a good mower. well worth the lost stability if you are going to be on it all day as it has much better suspension, where the wright will toss you all around at every little bump. you really have to be going over a cob to feel it on the deere. hope this helps.

9. fulano

fulano LawnSite Senior Member

I'm a newbie and don't yet cut grass commercially but I have a john deere 647 with a 48 deck for my home. It works okay. I was mowing a flat yard before I moved to a house on a hillside. It climbs the hill okay but trying to stop going down the hill is difficult. I have hit the cement ditch at the bottom of my hill a few times and had to get the truck to pull it out. It is a tough sob. I have the older one with the 8" wide tires not the 10" so maybe that is the difference. It cuts great IMO.
    Would I but another one to do my yard? No I would just get a 36" walk behind or something. I imagine if I were doing yards commercially which I may start to do I would just get a nice sit down ztr and a 36" walk behind.

10. instyle

instyle LawnSite Senior Member
    from Canada

I can honestly say that I will never but a sit down ZTR, we have no problem standing for hours on end. Plus they get attention, and they are small, fit very good in a tralier, great visability. Plus they are cheaper.