Opinions on John Deere's HD 45 walk behind

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by matthew horner, Mar 23, 2005.

1. matthew horner

matthew horner LawnSite Senior Member

Hey, I'm in the market for a walk behind. A fellow has a nice (less than 100 hours) deere hd45 walkbehind that he wants 2600 for. It is hydro 48 inch cut 14 kawasaki.

Has anyone used these??

How about that price?
    Thanks,
    matt

2. RidgeCon

RidgeCon LawnSite Member

We have 2 HD45's and seven HD 75's. We love the green. They work well for us.

3. Popsicle

Popsicle LawnSite Member

I use a HD45 with a 36" deck and the 14hp Kawi. The only problem I ever had was with the bagging assembly. Easy to operate and cuts nice.

4. matthew horner

matthew horner LawnSite Senior Member

how hard is it to adjust height?
    Does that price seem reasonable?

5. captken

captken LawnSite Bronze Member

This mower has a timed cogged? belt for the mower deck, the blades overlap. If the belt slips, you hit something, the blades can come in contact with one another. Major fup.
    Heigth adjustment sux.
    I almost bought his, 36". I am glad I didn't. My friend, who owns the one I was looking at, has been trying to sell his for 2 years now. No takers. He bought a Gravely 34Z to replace the JD.
    I bought a Hustler WB instead.
    Just my opinion.
    kenny

6. Popsicle

Popsicle LawnSite Member

Height adjustment takes about 10 seconds or less per side. Regular cleaning will keep the height adjustments smooth.

The price sounds decent for the low hours.

As for the timed deck, yes it is. JD is one of many manufacturers who use them including Walker. I have never had an issue with the belt slipping or hitting something this as properties I mow never have anything that would come in contact with the blade. I've used it for about 2-1/2 years now with nothing but regular maintenance (grease, oil, fuel/oil/air filters, belts, and blade sharpening).

7. captken

What planet are you from?lol....what are you are talking about, changing pitch? adjusting only the front?.....What about the backside?

My Hustler has a full floating deck with simple adjustments and I cannot do it in 10sec per side. bull s**t advise. :p

That dog don't hunt! :cool2:

8. Popsicle

Popsicle LawnSite Member

I'm from a little place called, "Reality".

There is no adjustment on the back required. There are four adjustment "pins" (spring-loaded "u-shaped") on the articulating portion of the deck, period.

What's up with the "bull s**t advise" statement?

9. captken

It takes about 20 secs. per side, I'm guessing, on [four corners] just to change the height [front and rear] on my Hustler WB. Simple Pin in hole on rod....The John Deere offers only pitch, [raise or lower front end] which you stated in reference to the articulated portion of the deck, means a pain in the ass to set the rear height.

I can afford to buy what I feel the best...and a John Deere Hd-45 ain't it.

That is the reality of the situation...Mike wants to unload his HD-45 and has no takers..he bought a Gravely 34 Z to replace it with, and cannot sell the John Deere....
    Thats my advise.

10. captken

Mike cannot dump his HD-45 for now....Maybe Matthew wants to buy it? he is asking 1200 for it...