Opinions on Lesco products vs. The Andersons

Discussion in 'Fertilizer Application' started by MiModernLawn, Feb 27, 2013.

1. MiModernLawn

MiModernLawn LawnSite Member

About to make our spring fertilizer order and was just wondering if anybody has any opinions on Lesco products or on products from The Andersons. Opinions on pricing, prill size, consistency of materials, cleanliness of products, dustiness, results etc. Andersons said they blend the fertilizer when you order but you have to order by the semi load. Lesco (or JDL) can be ordered by as few as one bag but often times is old, clumpy and bags are torn and spilling. I have very limited experience with The Andersons and a ton with Lesco and JDL. Any opinions and/or feedback is appreciated guys. Thanks

2. IXINRGIXI

IXINRGIXI LawnSite Senior Member

Anderson is great but the lesco spreader it my overall favorite cause it throws like non other

3. phillie

phillie LawnSite Senior Member

I use andersons for my first app. The pre-em works great. I use the 19-0-4 .38 prodiamine and have very few breakthroughs a year.

4. upidstay

upidstay LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

I've always liked Lesco because its a consistent product, and pretty dust free. Nothing like being surrounded by a cloud of pesticide dust all day.

However, JDL is now buying their product from whoever can give them the best price. I am an ex-employee of that fine establishment, and JDL will buy the cheapest stuff they can get. I noticed a marked drop in quality since JDL bought Lesco, an I'm sure it will continue to get worse. Will be interesting to see what happens.

5. Service 1st Lawn Care

Service 1st Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

Check out EC Grow, product is quality and very little dust my biggest pet peeve. I think our local JDL is getting its fert from Shaw's.

6. Hissing Cobra

Hissing Cobra LawnSite Senior Member

How did you notice a marked drop in quality since JDL bought Lesco? All of the fertilizer has been made at Turf Care Supply since the buyout - the same as it was before the buyout?:confused:

7. Lawnut101

Lawnut101 LawnSite Silver Member

I really like the Anderson's fert. I have had great luck with it. It's way cheaper in my area. I'm talking about $3-6/bag.

8. meets1

meets1 LawnSite Gold Member

I use ec grow. Good product but always thinking is there something better. Thing is I order from a business that is 200yards from my shop. That's works awesome.