Opinions on lesco

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by kc2006, Jun 1, 2004.

1. kc2006

kc2006 LawnSite Silver Member

Well I found out that I actually have a Lesco dealer very close to me (never knew this till this morning) so i went to check their stuff out. The dealer is very nice and helpful and he offers loaner z's for if your stuff is being worked on. Only downfall i saw was he doesnt have a tech there to work on the mowers he does it himself to the best he can but if it needs serious help he sends it to a shop 1 hour away. But since he gives loaners I'm ok with that. I asked about a 48" gear drive fixed deck and I was very suprised with the price, $2249. He was straight up on the price, asked if I was going to beat him up on the price and i said no so he gave me his whole price sheet and said thats the lowest possible he could do.

I'm just wondering on the quality, I did a search and the majority is possitive about lesco's its just I also read that mtd makes them and that scares me. Does the price sound good and what are some thoughts on it? I got some free rollers from the golf course my brother works at so i'm going to be fabing up a roller for it since lesco doesnt offer one. Thanks for the help.

2. PCLL

PCLL LawnSite Member
    from Alabama

My old business partner bought a 36 hydro this year, only to blow the engine and have Lesco not cover it because it had a few hrs above 60 on it. Lesco claimed it was due to a dirty air filter.

You read that right, 60 hrs.

3. kc2006

thats messed up! Anyone else got some feedback? I'll have to ask the dealer about how they are with warrenty. I'm going to demo one right now so i'll see the quality of cut on it.

4. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

kc--I have an older lesco belt, 48/14 kaw and it is an awsome machine.

in 1998 they were selling for $2199. I don't think that model was an MTD model but I would buy another today for the need and the money.

my unit still runs good, stripes good and is tough as nails.

the mulcher on mine sucks though because you eat the dust.

I have a metal catcher for it and it does a good job.

as for the 60 hour warranty krap, I never heard of such.

the warranty on that unit is 2 years commercial use.

the only bad unit I know of with the lesco name is the first version of the VIPER. stay away from those.

more questions about the lesco 48? ask.

GEO :)

5. Turf Technologies

Turf Technologies LawnSite Senior Member
    from Florida

I ahve 4 Lesco machines. a 10 yr old 48 hydro WB, this thing wont die! A 48 Viper which has give us no problems at all a 52 WB with a 19 kaw no rollers on it and I get great stripes for southern grass. Last one a 60 Ztwo. Another great machine.I wouldnt use any other machine on the market. And all other mower companies use the same engines Kaw or Kolher.

6. kc2006

Well I talked to the owner and he got alittle upset when i said i heard mtd made them (not at me at other dealers) he said mtd and lesco bought some company out and now its a 50 50 thing, he said the quality is still very good, has the same engine/trans as almost all the other companies, the deck is pretty beefy. Like we were laughing, MTD probably makes alot of parts for many of the commercial mowers out there (one dealer that hated exmark told me mtd made alot of exmark parts thinking it would make me think bad about exmark) I drove it around and cut with it and it did pretty good, it felt responsive for being right out of the crate and not adjusting anything, and it didnt rip the grass up at all which suprised me, the exmarks i've always used would rip it up but this didnt. He's ordering a 48" tomorrow and it should be here at the end of the week, its 2494 with tax, a mulch kit and a spare set of blades.

7. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

I don't know....

Sometimes their customer service just isn't what it should be I think.

Don't get me wrong, the guy that I've got in White Bear MN bends over backwards to help me out, but sometimes I think the people over his head don't have a clue.

Just called the credit department because I never received a statement for some fertilizer and such last month. First time I've ever used the account so I wasn't sure if I'm supposed to settle up with the store within 30 days, or if I'd get a statement like a credit card.

Sales rep at the store said I should get an invoice from them, like a credit card.

I'd check my account periodically and the days til due are counting down and I'm thinking, well, where's that statement.

Called Lesco themselves today, the main office, they said they sent it out back on the 14th of May. I said, no you didn't, or it would be paid. I pay any bill the day I receive it.

Having been a young adult in the past with too many credit cards, I know what it's like to be in debt, now I don't waste any time paying my bills.

She said well sir, your account is currently 2 days past due on the first invoice and your next bill is due tomorrow, if you want you can make a payment over the phone with a check.

I said sure, I'll do that. Now I have to fax a copy of a check to her. I said no, I ain't doing that, I'll just wait for my statement.

If my service center wasn't 40 miles away, I'd drive down there and hand them a check.

There's a couple other stories that I've got, just little stuff that bugs a guy when you're in the service business, but your vendors aren't.

Like I said though, I've got a guy now that cares about my problems and usually takes care of them. Guess I will drive down to Lesco and close out that account, after all it's raining again, nothing to do but sit here and type away and babble. :waving:

8. kc2006

babbling is good, it helps others :D

9. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

sir--I have read your entire post twice and quoted the whole thing.

but I can't find one reference to the subject of a lesco 48 walk behind mower.

I do think you said something about babbling in the rain though.

GEO :dizzy:

10. chefdrp

chefdrp LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a lesco 48 h/d w/b. float deck. its a new machine this year. a friend of mine has an older one and both cut great. mine is the same a the cub commercial. same deck as the TANK. and you dont need to order a roller. the mowers stripe well stock. here is a oic of my cut

sample pics 087.jpg