Opinions on Loadhandler vs. Dump insert

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by amanda8950, Nov 5, 2007.

1. amanda8950

amanda8950 LawnSite Member

I have an '07 F250 with an 8 foot bed. I primarily do lawn maintenance, but did my fair share of landscaping this summer as well. I'm going back and forth on getting a Loadhandler, putting side boards on, and building something around the wheelwells so no product ends up down there which the Loadhandler won't be able to get vs. getting a dump insert. I've come up with good and bad points to both. Just ballparking pricing - Loadhandller with side boards, wheel well inserts, and diamond plating for the side boards to keep it looking nice - around $ 400. Dump insert, steel with coal door cash and carry, $2450, aluminum with no coal door $3900.

I can't afford another truck ( dump truck ), so I'm trying to come up with an alternative solution. Any thoughts or experiences any of you guys have would be appreciated. Thanks

2. lawnman456

lawnman456 LawnSite Member
    from ct

if you have the money go for the dump insert. you do not need aluminum. steel is just fine in it is 2000 less.

3. corey4671

corey4671 LawnSite Silver Member

honestly if you aren't hauling landscaping material on a regular basis which it sounds like you're not, go the route of the loadhander. I have one and honestly I don't use it NEAR as much as I had thought I would. Better than having 2-3k tied up in a piece of equipment that won't get used but be sure to get the heavy duty model.

4. tthomass

tthomass LawnSite Gold Member
    from N. VA

Loadhandler for the grass clippings............dump trailer for the landscaping. If you really want to get into installs, a pickup with an insert will not do you justice.......you need more space. Plus you can't haul much in a 3/4 ton.....ESPECIALLY after adding an insert.

5. GreenT

GreenT LawnSite Fanatic

Get a used trailer.

6. hosejockey2002

hosejockey2002 LawnSite Bronze Member

I vote for the insert. I do this part time and I used mine 76 times the first year I had it. I figure it saves me $20 every time it goes up in unload time and effort. I've had it less than two years and it's paid for itself. I have heard that the Loadhandler works well but the insert is much faster and easier, and it takes the abuse rather than your truck bed. Inserts are most effective in a HD 3/4 or 1 ton pickup with overload springs. In a lighter duty truck the insert will eat up too much of your payload capacity.

7. pj550v12

pj550v12 LawnSite Senior Member

Do what I did. I ordered the Handler a few days ago, after getting it I'll see how much I really use it and how it affects my work. To be honest I've gone years without either and accomplished bigger tasks then most with dumps. Would it have made life easier, sure and there were a few times I borrowed one but I wont put that money into something unless I know I need it.

8. whoopassonthebluegrass

whoopassonthebluegrass LawnSite Platinum Member

I tore the handle off my load handler when I tried unloading some cut sod. I didn't think it was all that much... but I was wrong. Load handler is GREAT for grass, but I'm not sure about denser stuff.

In addition, I used to run it on my truck, but that was a hassle (blowing out the truck after unloading), so I build a 4'x4'x7'wide grassbox on the front of my trailer (so that the loadhandler is a perfect fit) and I can unload the whole grassbox in about 30 seconds and have never had to blow it out. Sooooooooooo worth it. Plus, now there's no grass in my truck!!

9. tnmtn

tnmtn LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NE Tn.

i have a loadhandler and love it. for a 3/4 ton i say it is the route to take. i have unloaded as much as a ton and a half of 2" gravel. for landscape work it will move mulch and dirt fine and not add the extra weight an insert will.
    good luck,

10. Isobel

Isobel LawnSite Senior Member

i have a load handler on my 8' 250 right now, and its not bad, but I am definitely looking for a dump insert at this point, just for the ease factor.