1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Opinions on my business please

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by Tower Rat 95B, Jul 7, 2013.

1. Stars & Stripes Landscaping

Stars & Stripes Landscaping LawnSite Member
    from CT

What if you found a reliable, competent, proficient young person to take over the solo deal while you just sell and manage?
  2. larryinalabama

larryinalabama LawnSite Fanatic

Ive never seen so many fellers on Lawnsite wanting to quit, usually its a few in a year this week its everyone.

For me I keeping my business even though Im also getting tired.

I don't think anyone is gonna pay 800$ unless you do a lot of work, and that will make one tired.

Heck Id like to roll back the clock some, but I cant afford a Delorean.
  3. zturncutter

zturncutter LawnSite Bronze Member

Tower Rat, What type of business structure do you have ? Your fuel and insurance seem to be in line.
  4. ringahding

ringahding LawnSite Senior Member

Not to be a downer, but...in 22 years you have only 50 lawns? And let me get this str8, you have grossed only 80k in 5 years? If that is the case, I can see why you are asking, "If it's worth it"?

I have my own personal route that grosses 1500/wk, meanwhile I have a 3 man crew running the other part of our weekly route (the more acreage). We have 90 accounts & growing....locally...no chasing down accounts...we have a 9 mile radius.

We are north also, and we do not rely on snow plowing, but....we do have commercial accounts that carry us through the winter months if we do not have the desirable snow accumulation.
  5. SomervilleLawncare

SomervilleLawncare LawnSite Member

I believe that he meant he was grossing $80,000 per year with a net of $52,000-$56,000 between mowing, landscaping, and plowing. Being that he also wants to stay solo I'm guessing 50 lawns is a comfortable number of lawns to complete in one week.

My plan for the future is to slip out of the owner/operator role and try to manage my business. It's probably easier said than done.
  6. zturncutter

zturncutter LawnSite Bronze Member

I believe that is what he is saying, and numbers of lawns means nothing, one property could easily be a $10,000 per year property
  7. ralph02813

ralph02813 LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Charlestown, RI

I don't know where you are, but when you get some down time I would really tear into my books and figure out where I am making money and where you are not. Or better still where you are making the better number, do this customer by customer and job my job - give up those that lower your net. Look at everything and write it down and compare.
    I am 66 this summer is a *****, but I am doing better than last summer - on the bottom line.
  8. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

I think the OP is saying that he is "topped out" in terms of what a solo op can do.

I am solo, and I did so a few years ago. Well, that isn't quite right. After 18 seasons, I do continue to be more productive (increased efficiency), despite getting a year older every 12 months. Perhaps I am crossing that line now, where the horse is loosing some speed, despite being more productive. I just cannot do the 12 hour work days, back-to-back-to-back like I could a few years ago.

As for me, I would have gladly put all my equipment out at the curb for trash pickup many years ago, to return to full-time employment, doing what I spent decades learning to do, and loved doing. I could have made 3X over cutting grass. Age discrimination is alive and well.
  9. dnc19694339

dnc19694339 LawnSite Member

By no means am I putting down any of you solo guys, BUT what is the big deal hiring a guy or two?

Yes, you are going to put up with some bullXHit with employees here and there but you will find a good one once in a while too, and he could make your life a lot easier. Just having a week wacker guy on your truck would make life a ton easier for you.

Physically, I could never go back in the field and would not want to. I clear anywhere from $10 to $20 per hour on each of my guys all week long.
  10. ralph02813

ralph02813 LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Charlestown, RI

Nice organized way of doing that, I did something very similar last year a ended the relationship with several customers - I now spend more time with my customers which translates into projects:cool2: