Opinions on purchased this past season?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Lbilawncare, Dec 7, 2003.

1. Lbilawncare

Lbilawncare LawnSite Bronze Member

I was just curious as to how everybodies new equipment has held up this season. Was there anything you bought that you regret or want to change? As for us, we bought:
    Stihl products FS85's -2, BR420, BG85, HL75K medium length shaft hedge trimmer. All are fantastic, especially the HL75K
    Dixie Choppers- XT2800's 60 & 72. Both have been pretty good, will probably add the new 32hp Generacs next season. The problems we encountered were: 2 Broken front fork's on the 72- both covered by warranty. Both had an exhaust failure and were replaced with the new Generac type muffler.
    Toro 44" Hydro Walk-Behind. Have been happy with it, but should have bought the classic style that we are used to. The SFS cuts good, but front visibility and side trim-ability are not as good. The weight is an issue too, I'm used to lifting the front end of our old WB's up to go over curbs, etc. I guess since sulkies are popular now (not for me) they had to make the front end heavier.
    Toro Commercial 21 2-cycle, Very happy with it after we took off the mulch plate on the blade & loosened the height adjust levers.
    JrCo spreader for Dixie Chopper- Very nice unit, we converted our original Dixie to Spray rig when our Perma Green had motor problems.
    New to us Mitsibishi forklift 5000lb, sideshift, and tilt for only $1200- Definitely the best investment this season.

Thats all I can think of for now. What were your 2003 equipment purchases and opinions?

2. EagleLandscape

EagleLandscape LawnSite Platinum Member
    Male, from Garland, Texas

bought a toro suzuki 5.5 2 cycle. best investment. bought a new trailer. good deal! and bought an echo smr260. been running 87 octance. just got 5 gallon mix of 89 octane, so im gonna see if that helps performance. but ive very satisfied and impressed. i upgraded from residential mowers/trimmers to full on commercial this year. best move yet. and i got a new truck too. loving it as well

3. bayfish

bayfish LawnSite Senior Member

2003 has been my forst year full time, so I've purchased quite a bit.

1992 chev. 1/2 pickup 5 sp. 305 V8, good running and looks good but a dog for pulling anything heavy. Not a good purchase.

Hustler Z 60" 24 honda, got a good deal $7200.00 new. Great machine.

Lesco renovator, if purchased earlier in the fall would have paid for itself already.

Lesco tow behind aerator same as above.

6x12 Hawke dump trailer, won't be without.

Extended reach hedge trimmers: good

Extended reach chain saw: good

Massey Ferguson 28hp compact with bucket and bushhog that comes in handy but sits way to much. I need to find more work for it in 2004.

Looking forward to '04, I think it's going to be a great year. Economy is looking very strong. Tax refunds often generate work for us. Good luck!

4. 4-Leaf

4-Leaf LawnSite Member

I bought a Kawasaki 700B backpack-blower in March of this year. Worked great until I broke the trigger on the tube. I broke it on November 8th and took it to the dealer.

Kawasaki backordered the part. After two weeks I asked the dealer to call them and ask when we could expect the part. They said "1st week in December."

As of Friday, it still hasn't been shipped. It's been one month today. I won't be buying any more of their products.

5. Avery

Avery LawnSite Bronze Member

We tried the new 4 Mix Sthil string trimmers. Could not be happier. Much more torque than the old model and run longer on a tank of fuel.

Also bought several 420 Magnum backpack blowers. Not really impressed with these. They do not work any better than the old model. Only difference is some EPA junk.

Added one new Toro Z Master. Like all the others it is doing great.

New tractor, JD 4310. Excellent compact tractor. Very strong for it's size.

Walker mowers still giving us a fit. Seems like we have an issue daily with them. Never again will I purchase a Walker! Equipment is supposed to make money...not cost money. I have lost several large accounts because the Walkers were in the shop for an excessive amount of time.

6. TXLAWNBOY

TXLAWNBOY LawnSite Member

'03 was my first year full time w/the biz. Therefore I have bought quite-a-bit of equipt. and have learned a great deal as well.

New Cud Cadet 933R (same as the Troy-built). Should have spent the extra $ and bought the Toro 32" float deck WB.

New Shin EB240 hand held, very impressed.

New Echo PAS-260 w/pruner & trimmer, impressed.

New Echo CS-440 chain saw, impressed.

New Echo PE-260, impressed.

New Hustler Fastrack 52" w/17.5 B&S, Very impressed w/the unit,wish I would have spent the extra $ on the 18 or 20hp Honda. Live and learn.

I run 93 octane in ALL my equipt. and have no major complaints w/any of the engines. Even the Fastrack does good w/the small B&S engine. Just wish I had a little more power.

7. grassrootsinab

grassrootsinab LawnSite Member
    from up here

I'm only P/T but I picked up a used 36" Deere Walk behind with only 200 hours on it this past summer. It works GREAT!! Wish I was smarter and bought it a couple of years ago (cut 3 hours off my total time. It translated to a 30% time saving). Just purchased a 6x12 enclosed trailer...great winter storage and it'll be nice to be able to haul ALL my tools ALL the time. Next purchase will be a used 1/2 ton extended cab.

8. NCSULandscaper

NCSULandscaper Banned

Bought lots of goodies this year.

2003 Ford F250
    16ft Proline tandom axle trailer
    16ft Husqvarna Pole saw
    Husqvarna edger
    Husqvarna trimmers
    Husqvarna saws
    Husqvarna Hedge Trimmer
    Echo mini-tiller(mantis tiller different color)

Plus lots of other small items

Next year will be another big year

Brown Bededger
    New computer for the office
    Tractor perhaps

9. Lbilawncare

Lbilawncare LawnSite Bronze Member

I knew I'd forget something. We bought a Protero bagger for our Dixie Chopper. It works pretty good, but could work a lot better. When we bought it, I was told I would get the baffle for under the deck in a few days, that was like 3 1/2 weeks ago. I called them 2 weeks ago and he said it was being shipped. I am the kind of person that if someone tells me something twice I trust them & don't bother them again until I get really pissed. No baffle yet and our cleanups are almost done. Bottom line, if you buy one for a Dixie- make sure it comes with a baffle, if not you'll have to go over everything twice. We also bought the cultivator attachment for a Stihl FS85 powerhead, makes those small overseeding jobs a breeze, really worth the investment.

10. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

the only thing that I regret buying this year was a Solo backpack blower. (can't remember the model number) Sure, its nice and quiet, but it always seems to be falling apart somewhere on the machine.