opinions on Scag mulching kit

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lawnkid, May 13, 2002.

1. lawnkid

lawnkid LawnSite Senior Member

What are your guys opinions on Scag's mulch master kit? My dealer told me it was not worth it because one guy spent the money and had it put on and the blades were scraping the sides so he had to cut some slits so that the blades could turn without scraping. I think this could have been poor installation though. Anyway, how much grass in inches approximately can a mulching kit cut off before clumping? $150 is not that much money and i could easily afford it but I'm just wondering if it is worth the risk of screwing up my mower. But if they do mess up, that could mean I might get a new mower. :p

2. Dennis E.

Dennis E. LawnSite Senior Member

Just go get a set of "Gator" blades for that bad boy. They work great.:D

3. lawnkid

lawnkid LawnSite Senior Member

I already use Gators in the summer and fall but they I still don't think they would do as good of a job as a mulching kit could do. I use regular lifts now in the spring. See the problem is that my mower has only a 14hp engine and is too weak to use doubles so I would like to maybe use a mulching kit. Should I maybe try using Gators in the spring? Never done this in the years I've been mowing. Give me some ideas on how throw the grass farther and more spread out.

4. Dennis E.

The only thing I can think of to "throw" the clippings out aways is some "high lift" blades. I use them during the fall months here to move oak leaves.

5. BLL

BLL LawnSite Member
    from MD

i dont know if you have it down but if you do flip your discarge chute up works wonders as opposed to being down gators dont cut worth **** so i woudl stick with the regukar lifts if quality of cut is a concern if not use the gators they ""tear it up"

6. CLM1103

CLM1103 LawnSite Member

I have the Scag mulch kit on a 36" WB. Whoever designed it did not measure the deck. On the right side away from discharge side), if you dont keep 3 spacers between blade and spindle, the blade will hit the baffle. On the discharge side it will not hit. This keeps you from being able to adjust blade hight by using spacers. I had to grind off the tip of blade on that side in order to use mulching blade at all. Also, if you put the baffle cover over the discharge, the mower will bog real bad even in short grass. I use the mulching blades with the deck baffles but do not block the discharge opening and it does a nice job.

I called Scag about this and they told me that I should change cutting height by raising entire deck instead of using the spacers. I would like to see them do that a couple times a day!!!

The underdeck baffles would be great if they had only been manufactured where the would fit.

7. Dennis E.

You be "right next door"!! I've got some in Walden Lakes.
    Look for a big green F-350 dually crew cab with a open red tandem trailer if you have accounts in there. I'm usually in there on Thurs. afternoon.:D

8. LawnSmith

LawnSmith LawnSite Senior Member

i just use the scag mulch plate to block off the discharge and it works great. i use the plate on my TT's and walk-behinds.

9. CLM1103

CLM1103 LawnSite Member

Dennis E...I think I have seen your truck in Walden Lakes. I only do work in a retirement village..The Lakes. I do 102 accounts here and pull my Scag and other equip. with my golf cart. All accounts are within about 3/8 Mile of my house.

10. BLL

BLL LawnSite Member
    from MD

HAHA thats gotta be a site!! a golf cart pulling lawn equipment. Heck of a lot cheaper then a 45,000 truck plus trailer and gas!!
    You must make a killing!!