Opinions on selling landscape rock

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by grasswhacker, Dec 10, 2008.

1. grasswhacker

grasswhacker LawnSite Gold Member

Thanks guys

2. XStream Aquatics

XStream Aquatics LawnSite Member

I wouldn't have the time to come and gather my own rock even if you had the equipment. It's so much easier for me to buy it ready to go and have the supplier deliver it to me.

3. Fiano Landscapes

Fiano Landscapes LawnSite Member

We have done this in years past. We had no real luck in calling suppliers or selling it to other companies. We use this rock for lots of different things, so it was worth my time to have my employees to harvest stone for me one week in the fall. We typically have 50-100 used pallets from pavers and retaining wall block around our shop, so we made baskets and nailed them to pallets to make everything secure. We then sorted them into different sizes(when your constructing rock walls, water features, or veneering its nice). If your going to try to sell them its probably not a good idea especially if you don't have the proper equipment, but if you can use them like I have you will see huge returns on your investment. It also is a waiting game, you dont always use it as fast as you would like. We harvested 65 ton in one week with four guys, palletized, trucked to our shop and everything.

PC160055.jpg

4. grasswhacker

Looks good.

5. BrandonV

BrandonV LawnSite Platinum Member

i could be wrong but you might accidently fall into a can of worms if you start selling rock , we had a guy locally doing that and he got accused on mining, in which you'll fall under msha and have to pay some hefty fines.

6. denver 2

denver 2 LawnSite Member

Grasswhacker, can you send me some pictures of the type of stone you have scattered about (walls,creek,field etc.) and how accessable is it to load stone. I may be interested.

Denver Martin Masonry

Email: kbmartin@fuse.net

7. ANC Stone Creations

ANC Stone Creations LawnSite Member

I would also like to see some pictures of the stone you are thinking of selling.

Is it Basalt or Granite?

Oh yah so here is how you determine the weight of the rock, Basalt weighs 165lbs per cubic ft and granite weighs 175lbs per cubic ft.

So a Basalt rock that is 2' x 3' x 2' = 12 cubic ft = 1980 lbs just under a ton
    Granite that is the same size weighs 2100 lbs just over a ton

If you are measuring in inches L x W x H = devided by 1728 x Basalt or Granite

Hope this helps for you for figuring out the weight of the rock.

8. grasswhacker

Here's some pics:

Dec23#48.jpg

Dec23#47.jpg

Dec23#45.jpg

Dec23#44.jpg

Dec23#43.jpg

9. grasswhacker

More pictures

Dec23#42.jpg