Opinions on Skag mowers.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Lawn Tech LLC, Feb 8, 2008.

1. Lawn Tech LLC

Lawn Tech LLC LawnSite Member

I have been using Grasshoppers for 12 years now but am looking at Skags for a change. I would like some feedback from guys who run them. Thanks for your help.

2. axe124

axe124 LawnSite Member

I have only been in the business for 3 years now and I started with (2) 36" walk-behind Scags. Although, I now have other units that are in use more, the scags have probably been the best investment so far. In my opinion they cut really well and maintenance has been very minimal.

In fact, I only carry one on the trailer now because we also bought a 44" ZTR Gravely. The other scag sits in the garage for a back-up mower.

3. delphied

delphied LawnSite Silver Member

I chose Exmark only because I felt the cut was a little better. Scag is known to be a tuff and trouble free mower with an acceptable if not good cut.

4. ponyboy

ponyboy LawnSite Bronze Member
    from ny

in business for over 20 years scags used to be the best now they have alot of electrical and saftey switch issues and their cut is accepyable. We went to ferris and also trying jd. if you are not using hydro exmark and everride have great blade tip speed. all that said what does your dealer sell the guy that will be there when you need him?

5. tb8100

tb8100 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from TX

what are you looking to spend?

6. kandklandscape

kandklandscape LawnSite Senior Member
    from PA

Scags are TOUGH! I am sure everyone knows that. Just last year on my personal one that I use, I personally hit 3 stumps. Hey it was getting dark. I also hit a piece of rebar on a new property that I had not idea it was there, stuck up about 1 inch from the ground and the grass was hiding it, the deck caught it and BOOM my stomach went right into the bars of the mower got nasty nasty nasty black and blue marks, even thought I broke a rib because it was so sore, however the deck stopped and I made sure nothing was wrong with it, just one little scratch! Jumped back on, turned the deck on and she ran and cut just fine. No damage to the blade except a little guage.... these mowers are extremly tough, heavy duty, means heavy duty with scag.

7. TandM

TandM LawnSite Senior Member
    from south

Hi I have had a tiger cub for one year and it is great especially on st. augustine and the finer grasses like rye and centipede it is tough as nails and I got away with it for 5995 and I am using the mulch block only for right now I will be installing the hurricane mulch kit in a little bit because the block doesn't cut the leaves up as good as I hope to. you should definately check into a scag!

8. chuck bow

chuck bow LawnSite Senior Member

Look at my sig line and you can tell what i think of Scag mowers . I have had or iam on my ninth one and i mow alot . They are built tough and the newer scag decks ( velocity plus) are awesome You may pay a little more but you wont be dissappointed . Also read my thread i just posted about scags customer service being top notch . "Simply The Best" is their slogan and they are right

9. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

No problems here, I own Exmark, Scag and Toro. Scag is my work horse, the one I grab first. The Turf Tiger is by far better on slopes, wet grass, overgrown grass. The Lazer has a little better cut in excellent conditions and is very nimble in tight spots.

In one year of use the Scag with the Velocity plus deck has not clumped one time, even in heavy wet grass. The clippings are a bit longer but it distributes them well and they fall into the grass. Scags are tough as nails and hold resale value.

I've run Dixies, Grasshoppers, Hustler Super Z's, also and still prefer the Exmark and Scag.

10. Mike Blevins

Mike Blevins LawnSite Bronze Member

It's been a few hours since I talked about Scags. So I will voice my opinion. Like I have said before I have demoed Deere,Exmark,Hustler,and BAdboy and there is nothing out there that compares with the Scag quality. Exmark would be my second choice. I have owned 3 Scags snd never had one problem out of any of them.I will be purchasing a 61 dfi Tiger this Spring and maybe a 48 walk-behind. Go and compare the Scag to any other brand. Scag offers more. Your going to get your money out of a Scag period. From the first day you buy it to the day you sell it. Go and do yourself a HUGE favor and buy one, you will not be disappointed. I can't wait till I get mine they are an awsome machine.:weightlifter::weightlifter::usflag: