opinions on Stihl FS 130

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by cmills, Sep 14, 2009.

1. cmills

cmills LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

I've been looking at getting a new trimmer and am leaning towards a Stihl FS 130, I currently have an Echo SRM 3100 which has been a good trimmer, but I would just like to try something different. I've had great luck with Stihl chainsaws but I have never had one of their trimmers. Does anyone have any experience with the FS 130, and if so what are your opinions of it?

thanks,
    Cory

2. bonddude

bonddude LawnSite Member

I have the kombi 110 and i love it. It is heavy so if you are only using for trimming id say get the fs100rx as its only 10lbs, vs my 14 or 15.

3. hate2work

hate2work LawnSite Member

Cory, the FS 130 is actually a brushcutter. The trimmer model is FS 130R, I'm guessing that's what you mean.

The only thing I ever hear negative about the 130R used as a trimmer is that it's a bit heavy and it actually has too much power for any kind of finesse work. Like bonddude said, the FX100R would be a better choice for just trimming.

But the 130R excels at everything else, so many people still buy it and use it for everything, including trim work.

4. cmills

cmills LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

Sorry, the FS 130R is what I meant. I don't really mind dealing with the extra weight in order to have a little more power because I do use it at our farm where the grass and weeds get very thick around our fence and other areas that seldom get trimmed.

I am also just curious as to how durable/reliable the Stihl trimmers (commercial) are compared to the other brands, especially since all I've had has been Echo.

thanks,
    Cory

5. jkilov

jkilov LawnSite Bronze Member
    from MS

The 130 is just a bored-out 110 and probably does'nt last that long. I recall someone complaining about trashing them within two seasons. The 110 should have more than enough power, if not step up to FS 250.

6. cmills

cmills LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

How often does Stihl redesign models, I was just looking at some other sites and it seems that the FS 250R has been around 7 or 8 yrs. I was just wondering because if they are due to bring out some new models I would probably wait to see what is new.

7. johnnybravo8802

johnnybravo8802 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Ga.

I was really impressed witht the FS130R as far as the power. I didn't find it that heavy compared to my FS250R. I could easily recommend it for general trimming. However, I have had all of my 4Mix in the shop in less than a year. I love the 4 Mix but they are prone to give problems. I have 2 cycle machines 12 yrs. old that have never seen a wrench.

8. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

Get a 250 while you can. I have a 110 4 mix but we all fight over the 250. Yes it's a bit heavier but I still love that 2 stroke power house. It powers through some tough stuff. The 4 mixes I've run are OK but they seem to strain more while the easy reeving 250 just seems to slice through things much better. Just an opinion, probably not shared by most.

9. TropicGreenery2

TropicGreenery2 LawnSite Member

I have one of each and agree with the fact that the echo is better for fine trimming and the stihl is for more bulkier stuff and does way a little more but I would recommend the stihl its great for thicker shrubs.

10. Two Seasons

Two Seasons LawnSite Senior Member

We've got the FS110R and use it for trimming and edging.

4mix power with 0 problems and lots of hours on it.