opinions on syringing during summer

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by mrkosar, May 29, 2007.

1. mrkosar

mrkosar LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

what do you guys think about giving the lawn a nice cool 3-4 minute spray with the hose during the hottest part of the day? this is obviously not a substitute for watering, but more in addition to watering 1-1.5" of water per week.

2. americanlawn

americanlawn LawnSite Fanatic
    from midwest

Certainly can't hurt. 'GOFF' courses do it all the time. I equate turf as a pet ... it appreciates being babied whenever possible. Plus....plants need H2O in order to survive. I wish more customers would realize this.

3. mrkosar

mrkosar LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

i actually meant spritzing to just cool off the soil and lawn during a really hot day.

4. EA Quinn

EA Quinn LawnSite Senior Member

i wouldnt do it in the middle of the day. too much of that is going to evaporate. I would wait till the afternoon or late afternoon. most golf course syringe around 3-5 pm.

5. heritage

heritage LawnSite Bronze Member

It's called Syringing...You had it correct! It helps to cool the crowns of the turf.

As E A Quinn says, you will lose more water to Evap.

Pete D.

6. ncls

ncls LawnSite Senior Member

Is the customer paying you to do that? I don't have time to hose myself off. Let alone a customer's yard.

7. lawnservice

lawnservice LawnSite Senior Member

I wouldnt be concerned with evaporation since we are talking a very light watering for the purpose of cooling down cool season turf during the stressful heat of the day.

8. Puttinggreens

Puttinggreens LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from southeast PA

The evaporation of the water from the surface of the plant is what gives it the cooling effect.

The fact that cool water is being applied certainly contributes, however that same water can quickly heat up in the sun if too much is applied and cannot evaporate.

Golf courses don't necessarily wait until 3 or 5 PM, they wait until the grass is in need of cooling off. All locations, soil types and turf types are different. Generally if the turf plant is loosing water through respiration / evaporation, faster than it can obtain water through the roots, it may fry and a syringing is needed.

9. txgrassguy

txgrassguy LawnSite Gold Member

I am a firm advocate of syringing all types of turfgrass when they are under heat stress.
    Just don't add too much water and you will be alright.

10. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

I don't think anyone can argue with the value of syringing all types of turf grass. But my point here is the practicality of doing it. Golf Courses and Professional Sports Turf have a vested interest in maintaining perfect turf and the Budget and Man power to do so. Homeowners, Parks and Recreation areas etc don't have that same luxury.

Also remember Too Much Water on a hot sunny day and it will sunburn the Turf.