Opinions on the best ZTR 60" + deck....

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by K&L Landscaping, Nov 24, 2004.

1. K&L Landscaping

K&L Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

To those who directed me to Sheffield Financial, thanks alot! They told me pretty much to get what I wanted, turns out my credit wasn't as bad as I thought it was. Anyway, to the question, which 60" ZTR do you guy's consider to be the best and which are the worst. I looked at the Great Dane Chariot LX 61" and liked it pretty well. I have a Great Dane 52" Scamper now and have been pleased with it. I also liked the John Deere. Your advice is always appreciated!!

2. Tonyr

Tonyr LawnSite Bronze Member

I have an '04 model Toro Z588E, with 60'' Turbo Force Deck, I can only say this deck has exceeded all of my expectations, I do from nice lawns to rough paddocks, as per proof on my web site.

I can honestly vouch for this deck.

3. jtkplc

jtkplc LawnSite Silver Member

you ask 100 guys this question and you'll probably get 100 different answers. when i was looking for a ZTR last year i asked the same question, which is the best and i got all kinds of different answers. how i decided was to look at every make and model and compare through my own research and to see what would best fit my needs.

4. K&L Landscaping

I pretty much figured that I would get a mixed bag of opinions. It seems to me that most of these units are very well built and that I would be satisfied with any of them. I think I have it narrowed down to the Great Dane Chariot LX 61" or the John Deere 737.

Thanks for the opinions!

5. Travis Followell

Travis Followell LawnSite Silver Member
    from KY

Both of them are good mowers. JD actually owns Great Dane so your buying from JD either way and There are a lot of differences between the two machines. Just look at both of them and demo them and get the one you like the best and that you think will best fit your needs.

6. Gatewayuser

Gatewayuser LawnSite Bronze Member

K&L landscaping
    I own a Great Dane Gateway and I am too pleased with it. But I know 2 people who have the Great Dane Chariot and are very unhappy with cut quality. Anybody that I have talked to about John Deere 61-72" ZTR are very happy with almost everything.

7. iluvscag

iluvscag LawnSite Senior Member

one word.....SCAG....simply the best.It also has the best deck...10 gauge stihl,7 gauge skirt,11 over the spindle boxes....largest pumps in it's class.

8. K&L Landscaping

I have heard great things about the Scag. However, I don't have a Scag dealer nearby that I am aware of. Maybe I will research that a bit.

Thanks alot guys!!

9. Travis Followell

Travis Followell LawnSite Silver Member
    from KY

Great Dane was developed by the same man that developed Scag. The mans name was Dane Scag. He also developed the Bob Cat mowers. He sold them to Textron. Develpoed Scag and sold them to Metalcraft of Mayville Wisconsin and then Developed the Great Danes and has recently sold them to JD. All three are great mowers and so are the JD's.

10. JPLAWNSERVICE

JPLAWNSERVICE LawnSite Member

If you are referring to the turf tiger I believe it has 16cc pumps. The gravely 200 series mower uses 21cc pumps. Scag is nice but not necessarily the best deck or biggest pumps. JMO.