opinions on the derby and cost of lazer z

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by 94-8v jetta, Nov 14, 2001.

1. 94-8v jetta

94-8v jetta LawnSite Member
    from PA

im looking to start a lawn care business. i am turned on by the 6900 price of the Derby. it looks strong and reliable. how much would a 52inch lazer z cost me. opinions please?

2. Idont know about the derby but the lazer z hp wil cost somewhere between 6999 or more the lazer is a great machine we have the 48 i wish we had got the 52 .

3. Esby

Esby LawnSite Senior Member

Lazer Z HP 52"/23hp Kaw retails for about $7,199. I actually got a slightly used unit (31hrs) for $6,200, which came with a mulch kit and a couple extra sets of blades. I bought it this fall and love it. I am now convinced that ZTR's are the way to go, my walkbehind sits on the trailer alot now. I dont know much about Derby mowers, but I think one could say that the quality of Exmark is hard to top. One thing is almost for sure, their reputaion is a hard one to beat. I will always be an Exmark customer. Good luck on your future purchase.

4. Mark

Mark LawnSite Senior Member

Esby i called two dealers today and got the 2002 prices they went up in price first time in 6yrs. I called about the Lazer Z 60 with the Kohler EFI 26hp an the price was 9,699 bucks, same mower with 25 Kohler was 7999 without tax, same price as the 52 with 23Kaw. 52" Truf Tracer with 17Kaw and ECS was 5399. So you came out awfuf nice with the 6900. Marks Mowing Service

5. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

WHAT! ...in the name of Sam Hill, is a DERBY???:confused:

6. Evan528

Evan528 LawnSite Silver Member

I demoed the derbys at the KY expo.....they seem like a ferris painted green if you ask me......They were also with the ferris's. They seem like commercial quality from what i could tell!

7. The Derby is made by Ferris. It is a homeowner version of the Ferris mowers, the local Ferris dealer sells them to the homeowners who want to cut their own lawns.

8. conepile

conepile LawnSite Member

Odin00:

Why do you wish you'd have procured the 52" over the 48"? I'm leaning towards the 48", as I'm concerned about potential future customers whose yards are smaller, but larger than I wish to continue with my 36" WB. My fear is that I'll have a $6800 piece of equipment left on the trailer...

I'm always the "Bigger is better" subscriber, especially when it comes to engines. This time I don't know. Your input will be helpful.

9. conepile

the reason is there is not much mower deck sticking out on the trim side. it makes it hard around retaining walls and landscaped areas and lawn edgeing around trees.I would say get the 52
    But if you do get the 48 it is still and excellent machine .Also watch out if you buy after market blades a lot of times they are 1/4 inch short.I got the 19 horse kaw on mine and it has enough power. but the 23 horse would be better like i always say you never get to much power

I hope i helped you out a little? 48 or 52 you will be getting a fine mower