Opinions on the Toro I just bought?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by tacoma200, Apr 7, 2007.

1. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

I don't know much about WB's but I bought this one from a guy that says it has almost no hours on it, he bought out a business. It is a Toro proline 36" belt driven. I gave $1,500 for it and hope this wasn't too much. It has a 15 hp Kohler that started right up after being in storage all winter. It's taking me a while to get used to it but everything seems to work perfect. The trim side doesn't even have scratches to amount to anything so I believe him when he said it had rarely been used. So was it worth the 1500 and what would it cost new? I just need it for the occasional job that has some steep area's. All opinions welcome. I'm new to Walk Behinds so any advice on mowing hills or other advice is welcome. Heres a couple of pics.... Thank,s

scag 030.jpg

scag 031.jpg

2. Gruneich Lawn Care Inc.

Gruneich Lawn Care Inc. LawnSite Senior Member
    from SD

Looks like you got a pretty good deal. Looks brand new to me

3. greengiant9963

greengiant9963 LawnSite Senior Member

Seems like a fair deal. That mower looks almost brand new.

4. THEGOLDPRO

THEGOLDPRO LawnSite Fanatic

Looks good, Im not sure how much these go for. the tires are very small and will prob suck for hills. they look like the same size as my 48 metro

5. ProCut Lawn Care

ProCut Lawn Care LawnSite Member

Sounds like a good deal. I got one identical but with the t-Bar drive system and velke for 2K in Jan this year, very lightly used.

6. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

Yea when the trim side isn't even scratched it couldn't have been used much. A fellow LCO bought out a company and this was in on the deal. It's been sitting around in storage mostly. Goes great up hills, it slips a little going across very steep hills but not too bad. I honestly didn't know anything about the model or any walk behind for that matter. I know bigger tires and a hydro would be better but I just need it on an occasional job.

7. ProCut Lawn Care

ProCut Lawn Care LawnSite Member

I use mine for back yards with only a small gate that the scag won't fit through. I bought the 2 wheel velke and sold the single it came with (cause I'm Fat!), and it does exactly what I need. Just an occasional here and there.

8. RedMax Man

RedMax Man LawnSite Platinum Member

I bought a used Toro 48" Pro Line walkbehind T-bar (similar Model to yours), sulky and a few extras for $1750 and it wasn't nearly as new looking as that. I've had mine for a few years and it has always run/cut very well and had good traction on hills.
    You got a good deal on very good mower, you'll like it. the 15hp Kaw. eng. is very reliable.

9. You got a better deal than I did on mine. Plus I got the stinkin' "T" bar. I'd have much rather had the pistol grips for hills & ditches.

I didn't much care for the amount of air it moved, but now I'm running double blades. High lifts on the bottom and gator blades on the top. It does fine now.

Dave

10. Shuter

Shuter LawnSite Bronze Member

I have used Toros for 7 years. A few expected problems, but I have a good dealer to take care of them. My WB has the T-bar.