1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Opinions on this 32 inch SCAG?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Swampbeast, Mar 21, 2003.

1. Swampbeast

Swampbeast LawnSite Senior Member

Okay, heres the deal, I have the opportunity to buy a SCAG 32 inch mower.
    It has 106 hours on it.
    Two new drive tires
    Two new blades
    12.5 Kawasaki on it
    Mower is 8 months

It was in a car wreck and a flying piece of metal slashed the drive tires, that is the only damage. Insurance however paid the man who owned the mower enough for him to just get a new one.
    he is asking $1850 for it. It looks real dirty, never been washed, well used but still in very good working order.
    Seeing as I can hardly get $1400 for my SCAG 48 inch WB with only 60 hours on it, is this a fair deal? What would you price it at?

2. Buba

Buba LawnSite Member
    from PA

In the Pa market you can buy a new bobcat 32"with a 13 hp kawasaki for about $2,300. Exmark is a little cheaper but does not have an electric clutch. Doesn't look like such a deal. Good luck.
  3. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

hydro or belt? If hydro I think it would be a good deal.
  4. Swampbeast

Oh yeah, its a belt, NOT a hydro.

5. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

Then I think I would pass probably..... A new one isn't that much and for the fact that it needs no repairs, has full warranty and has seen no use (how do you know this one hasn't been abused?) and is CLEAN then you know that you are getting more for the money. JMHO,
  6. Turfdude

Turfdude LawnSite Bronze Member

For around $2K, my foreman purchased the brand-new 36 Exmark last year. Yes - manual blade switch, but mo biggie. The 32 should be around the same. For that price - come up w/ the extra clams, purchase new & get warramty, etc..

My SCAG 32 is going on its 14th year & still running strong. When it dies, I may drop the 16 or so lawns I need it for.

7. paponte

paponte LawnSite Silver Member

Ship it up this way for $1400. Better have a 17 horse on it though. :D

As far as the 32, if it is REAL dirty with only 160hrs on it most likely the guy didn't take care of his machines. If he did take care of it, why would he be getting rid of it? If I were in his position and got a check from the ins. co. I would be buying an additional machine. Have it checked out, I personally wouldn't pay more than $1500. for it. :cool:
  8. lawnkid

lawnkid LawnSite Senior Member

Hey Swampbeast, is it all possible you could have that 48" Scag shipped over here. I'd buy it. What are the specs.
  9. ksland

ksland LawnSite Senior Member

Sounds like a $1500 mower. (the 32")
  10. Swampbeast

Good, so I am not the only one who thought this was not a square deal. All righty then, I will try to talk him down to $1500 or less.

As for my 48 inch, I already sold that one, for $2000, not to a dealer, to a friend of mine. So sorry to spoil your hopes, but its already gone!

Thanks everybody, I just needed some more opinions on this one.