1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

opinions on this dozer

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by PTSolutions, Oct 17, 2013.

1. PTSolutions

PTSolutions LawnSite Silver Member
    from OH

Was perusing craigslist for equipment and came across this and thought the price seemed pretty reasonable. Now, I don't have a need at the moment for a dozer, but I have been asked for a few jobs that a dozer would definitely be needed on. I have the capability to move this thing around easily as it is spec'd at only ~14k lbs.

Main uses would be clearing some lanes on my property for a private range, backfilling after culvert pipe installations, light land clearing, and even possibly some rough grades for new developments.

Just wanted to pick your guy's brains on this as I have no experience with dozers, save running 1 once, a while back.

[​IMG]

Link:
    http://cleveland.craigslist.org/hvo/4131856938.html

2. bobcat_ron

bobcat_ron LawnSite Fanatic

I'm not a big fan of the old Case dozers, they have some kind of goofy transmission, and the tilt cylinders are really exposed, bad weight balance.
    I'd look for a Cat D3 of the same year.

3. knox gsl

knox gsl LawnSite Platinum Member

4. PTSolutions

from OH

What are "high" hours for a dozer? I know like skid steers id stay away from anything much over 1k, but mini ex's dont necesarilly face the same abuse so slightly higher hours may be acceptable, but I have no idea about dozers.

That d3 you posted doesn't look to bad, has lgp tracks but the grousers look kinda worn from what you cans see in the pic.

5. bobcat_ron

bobcat_ron LawnSite Fanatic

That D3 is a beauty, we had an older B+C models, they even have blade pitch turn buckles on top to get a sharper angle for cutting and heavy pushing.

6. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

I would not want to buy a used dozer with over 6000 or 7000 hours. However, the most important thing to check is the undercarriage. If the undercarriage remaining life is under 60% or 70%, I would not buy it. An undercarriage/tracks rebuild, is mighty expensive.

7. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

Plenty of Deere or Cat dozers that are newer and better machines for $19,000 or less.

8. PTSolutions

from OH

Most of what I have seen is early 90's models for mid to upper 20's.

9. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

Comparing apples to apples, I believe the E series was early 90's vintage but a 550 is not quite a D3 size dozer. With that said, if you're finding Cat and Deere machines the same age but are larger for another $5K, that would be about par compared to this deal. Are you concerned with weight for transport?

10. mow king

mow king LawnSite Senior Member

Yeah I've been watching that guy try to sell that dozer for a few months. He's had it on ebay and hasnt met reserve. I think he wants way too much money if you check what they've been bringing at Ritchie Bros and the like.