opinions on this truck...

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by Willofalltrades, Apr 19, 2007.

1. Willofalltrades

Willofalltrades LawnSite Bronze Member

Its a 1995 Ford F-350 4x4. It has dual rear tires and is a regular cab.The truck has 61,733 miles on it. Heres the kicker, it has the 7.3L diesel mated to the auto tranny. I will be using the truck to tow a trailer of mowers, deliver mulch to be spread, and snow plowing in the winter. How do they plow with that 7.3L diesel? The asking price is $14,990 but I would take it to a Ford Dealer I work at and have it inspected before I purchase. I'm thinking I would offer $13,500 with the consideration that it would need $1000 off the bat in work. What do you think?

'95 F-350.jpg

2. LindblomRJ

LindblomRJ LawnSite Silver Member

$15,000 is a lot for a 12 year old pickup. What kind of work does it need?

3. Willofalltrades

Can't tell ya, I'm going to look at it tomorrow. I'm thinking it would need brake work, hubs, u-joints... theres a million things that could go wrong, I'm just figuring its gonna need something.

4. LindblomRJ

LindblomRJ LawnSite Silver Member

1995 was the first year for the Power Stroke Diesel. Dad had one. Its was good pickup. Dad and my brother both have 97 F-250s with powerstroke. I don't think the automatic transmission is anything to be overly worried about. Any transmission or engine can fail.

It looks sharp.

5. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

Is the truck a true cab and chassis or is it a dually pickup that somebody took the box off ?

I would offer 13,500 and see what they say the truck is a short wheelbase so its not really desireable to a person that hauls freight or wants a mechanics/welder truck.

As for the juicer transmission I would have it rebuilt or fixed and the way you go. Any truck with a automatic is going to be expensive to fix, nothing beats a 5 or 6 spd manual.

6. Rizzo

Rizzo LawnSite Senior Member
    from Iowa

We had our E350 automatic trans replaced at 217,000 miles. That was hauling an advanced life support ambulance body all that time with a 7.3 PSD.

7. Willofalltrades

Well I'm not to worried about the transmission in terms of reliability... just the cost to replace a part on that diesel motor... I had a friend who had to spend $1000 on a cam SENSOR for his Dodge cummins... that scares me. I can do breaks, u-joints, and all that good stuff my self but i'm planning on $1000 of work. I'm going to go look at it and take more pics... the one I got is off www.autotrader.com.

Almost forget, the rear bed is a dumping stake body so thats a big plus as well as the diesel.

8. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

When you buy used trucks, you're taking a risk. $14,500 is WAY too much for that truck, try $11K at best.

9. Dstosh

Dstosh LawnSite Senior Member

A Powerstroke cam sensor costs 50 bucks and about 20 minutes to replace.

10. stroker51

stroker51 LawnSite Senior Member

My cam sensors have been more like $100 bucks, but they're really easy to replace. It depends on where you are as to how much that truck is really worth. Around here, 12-14K would probably be reasonable. It has relatively low miles, good body apparently. The 7.3 is a solid engine, and I know several people with 200K+ on the auto, and they work their trucks all the time. Just to compare prices, there is a 97 F250 4x4 Crew Cab short bed with 197K for sale near me at a dealer, asking price is 14,500. They probably won't get it, but that's what the old 7.3's are priced at around here. I think it'd be a good truck for you.