Opinions on this Volvo triaxle

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by 4 seasons lawn&land, Mar 22, 2014.

1. 4 seasons lawn&land

4 seasons lawn&land LawnSite Gold Member
    from NY

2. PA GrassChoppers

PA GrassChoppers LawnSite Member
    from PA

Nice truck but the price seems high to me. If I were to make an offer it'd be $28k maybe $30k.

3. NEUSWEDE

NEUSWEDE LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Maine

I would say if it doesn't have paper work for an engine rebuild I would prepare to have 10-15k on hand for an inframe engine rebuild. Most engines are set for rebuilds at 500k-600k

4. 4 seasons lawn&land

from NY

That's what I figured. I'm sure it will need a motor soon. I'm just looking for something that doesn't make me feel like I am flushing money when it sits a lot. I will only do 3000-5000 miles a year on it.

5. ducnut

ducnut LawnSite Bronze Member

Depends. That's a lot of engine and isn't getting worked that hard, with the weight capacity of the truck (figure 50%, or less, loaded miles, too). I'd be more concerned about hours spent idling, if it did primarily asphalt work. Also, I'd want to see maintenance records.

Maybe I'm too much of a stickler, but, the fact the grille has been knocked out and simply replaced with expanded metal, the passenger hood corner crunched, rigged exhaust, knocked off bug deflector with a just a piece left, and other damage seems to indicate a less caring attitude about taking care of things. That would lead me to believe the maintenance has been less than stellar, as well. Obviously, you know where all that can lead to.

6. PA GrassChoppers

PA GrassChoppers LawnSite Member
    from PA

I have a 2002 Pete with a 550hp cat 6nz 993,000 on the clock, inframe was done at 900,000. Depends on how it's operated and maintained.. Although, like ducnut has stated, the maintenance may have been lacking.

I do agree with you on having cash on hand for an inframe and also any other possible maintenance issues. These trucks are expensive and at this age will start to nickel and dime you to death.

7. tbi

tbi LawnSite Senior Member
    from NY

If it's not a steerable axle figure on another $8k to change it out by years end.

8. hvy 1ton

hvy 1ton LawnSite Senior Member

Is there an non-steerable lift axle rule change i'm unaware of? I know non-steerables took a weight capacity hit in Canada a couple years ago.

9. earthmover

earthmover LawnSite Member
    from NJ

In New York they are changing all non steerable lift axles have to be steerable in 2015 not sure of the exact date though.
    Posted via Mobile Device

10. 4 seasons lawn&land

from NY

On new trucks. You don't have to switch over old trucks