Opinions on Toro 44" hydro pistol grip wb

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by brucec32, Feb 17, 2005.

1. brucec32

brucec32 LawnSite Platinum Member

Other than the traction and deck heavy design, should I be wary of buying a 2003 model Toro hydro pistol grip 44" SFS deck wb mower?

How do they mulch?
    I owned a t bar version and it cut well except for needing more power (15hp Kohler single) and the T bar steering was just not a good design on the hydro models. Too jerky.

I have read that the pistol grips gave much better control. I need a unit for ocassional use where the ZTR won't reach (gates, hills) so I could live with the pistol grips for the short amount of time it'd be used.

2. Fareway Lawncare

Fareway Lawncare LawnSite Silver Member
    from Canada

Please Don't Get me Started on Toro Hydro Floaters...

The SFS Sux Compared to Most Newer Decks...Its Over 20 Years Old...They Mulch Like Crap & the Kit Weighs down the Front end...Wait for TF Decks.

The T-Bar is a Joined control which Means you have Very Poor control over Individual Wheel Spin during Z-Turns...Very Bad Hydro Control System...Whoops just noticed you said Pistols...They're Better.

The Carrier Frames are Hackneyed attempts to fit Vertical Height Adjusts w/the SFS decks and are Unbalanced and Poorly Concieved.

The only Toro walks work consideration are the Fixed Deck Pistol Grip Hydros.

..... because they're eXmarks.

3. Mark McC

Mark McC LawnSite Bronze Member

I looked at an '04 Toro 52/17 SFS, a showroom model while out and about a few weeks ago and there was rust under the deck already. They were trying to unload it for $3,999. When I got back home, I tried a search on SFS and found a LOT of really negative feedback. I'd avoid the SFS like Typhoid Mary.