1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Opinions on Toro hydro w/b with t-bar

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by DeWitt Lawncare, Apr 24, 2005.

1. DeWitt Lawncare

DeWitt Lawncare LawnSite Member

I've got the 52 gear drive with the t bar and it's really easy to handle except for hills and when I use the reverse. The reverse stinks.

I've heard grumblings about the t bar hydro. Anyone out there using one and do you like it or not?

2. Fareway Lawncare

Fareway Lawncare LawnSite Silver Member
    from Canada

T-Bar Sucks on Hydro Units..it is Jerky and Lacks the Benefit of Twin Levers for Twin Hydro Pumps...Get Pistols fo the Hydro.
  3. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

You have one opinion, mine is different. We have a Toro Hydro w a 44"deck and a T-bar . It is the easiest mower to use. We did have to add about 30lbs to the front of the mower but that was no problem. To each his own but I'll never buy a pistol grip mower ever. I have used plenty in demos and found they were all PITAS.

aug4 869.jpg
  4. YardPro

YardPro LawnSite Gold Member

we also have a t bar toro pro line.

i like outs a lot. it has a few drawbacks, but it is very easy for new employees to learn...

if yours is jerky, then you can soften the engagement of the pumps by adgusting the bypass screw on the side of the unit.
  5. meets1

meets1 LawnSite Gold Member

we have three toro 44 pistols grips with gear drive. Bought a new 44 hydro with pistol and we can't get the thing to track straight. Any ideas to help with our problem?
  6. David Grass

David Grass LawnSite Senior Member

WHY do you use reverse? I never in 10 years of using mine used the reverse on a T bar belt drive, except to load on a trailer. It is the best on hills, simply keep the deck aimed up and let her float back on you, I MEAN IT FLOATS, ITS EASY, and it is GREAT on hills. Maybe I should do a Demo for some of you that haven't learned these techniques. I can mow a 40 degree with one of those things. If I drove it straight up to a fence and needed reverse, I just pull back without putting it in gear. ABSOLUTELY NO HAND FATIGUE using it all day long, day in and day out. Oh well, eveyone drives differently I guess.
  7. DGM

DGM LawnSite Member
    from Ga.

We have a 52" T bar Toro Hydro and love it, it has alot less hand fatigue than a pistol grip, also meets1 one side of the lever rods for the hydro pumps is not adjustable the other is you either speed up or slow down the one side to get it to track straight.
  8. DeWitt Lawncare

DeWitt Lawncare LawnSite Member

Maybe I need new belts or something, but I just bought it last week, so I'm still learning the controls.

My issue on hills is that it stinks just going straight up them. The belts slide and it doesn't have enough power to make it up. The reverse has power, but it doesn't have much control as far as steering in reverse.

You're very pleased with yours, what's your technique?

Also, I'm building a stripe kit because compared to my lesco belt, it doesn't stripe worth a darn. I do love how it handles and it's easier on the hands than pistols, but it really lacks stripes.
  9. Fareway Lawncare

Fareway Lawncare LawnSite Silver Member
    from Canada

Reverse Gets Used About 100 Times a Day....If You Don't Have it you Adapt...The Mower Works You....If you Have it You Use it..... Saves Time and Money
  10. Fresh Cut

Fresh Cut LawnSite Member

I hava had a 36" toro T-Bar belt drive for four years and would agree whole heartedly w/ David Grass, they kick a**. I just bought a 52" toro hydro T-Bar about three weeks ago and would have to say it is tougher to operate. It just doesn't seem as forgiveing as the belt drive. I got a sulky for the hydro which for some reason seems to help smooth out the handling. What I want to know is, anybody out there have both and feel like they are as efficient on the hydro as they are on the belt?