1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Opinions on upgrading trucks

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by Mt. Zion Lawn Care, Aug 20, 2013.

1. Mt. Zion Lawn Care

Mt. Zion Lawn Care LawnSite Member

I've recently had a strong urge to replace my current truck with a bigger truck. The truck I have now is a 1996 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 ext. cab 2.7l Auto. Its a slick little truck with new black paint. It just clicked over 253,000 miles. At 246,000 the motor spun a rod bearing and I tore the engine down and replaced everything except the block and head. I had the block bored .20 over also, so needless to say the motor is only 7,000 miles old. I currently tow a 5x8 trailer with a 717 john deere zero turn. I get about 16mpg towing and about 17mpg just regular driving. I'm looking to sell or trade for a 94-98 Dodge 2500 4x4 12v Cummins 5 speed. Some may say that is overkill but I'm looking to add another mower and use my 18ft car hauler for a lawn care trailer. Would a 12v Cummins suite me a lot better than my Tacoma?

I also live on a farm and the Cummins would be hauling a few tractors, a rock crawler, and cattle.

2. Chris_NC06

Chris_NC06 LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Sanford, NC

I don't think a 3/4 ton diesel is overkill, in fact I wouldn't own anything smaller than a 3/4 ton for landscaping. Better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it. IMO :)

3. TruSomethingOrOther

TruSomethingOrOther LawnSite Member

Around these neck of the woods every legit landscaper / mowing crew doesn't use anything less than a 550. I use a 450 myself, and wish I had the extra hauling capacity sometimes. It is better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it.