Opinions on using your garage as equipment storage and shop.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Holland, Jan 28, 2013.

1. Holland

Holland LawnSite Senior Member

Newbie here. My only option is using my garage as my equipment storage and shop. Size is nice at 24x20, and only drawback is wife and I have to park in driveway. So you think this will be suffice for a while?

Posted via Mobile Device
  2. hi_speedreed

hi_speedreed LawnSite Senior Member

you are 480sqft ahead of me
  3. knox gsl

knox gsl LawnSite Fanatic

It sucks but will work.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  4. hackitdown

hackitdown LawnSite Silver Member

Why wouldn't you? What is the alternative, pay rent on a shop?
  5. MOturkey

MOturkey LawnSite Silver Member

Cars are made to be outside, your equipment is in what is probably the most secure location you can have, and you have zero additional expense. Seems like a no-brainer to me.
  6. 44DCNF

44DCNF LawnSite Bronze Member

Do-able for the time being or longer if things allow it. You will want to check your local codes, and then consider what your neighbors might think of it. One complaining neighbor can cause a lot of grief if codes do not allow the starting of equipment at hours you will be needing to, storage of waste materials, business vehicles or trailers in the driveway, etc. Some mortgage papers may say no storage of gasoline above a certain amount on your property. I'd say if you've checked the legality of it (a lawn business run out of the home) and your insurance requirements, then yes it certainly can work for now or indefinetly.
  7. wegomow

wegomow LawnSite Senior Member

Works for me. At first I would unload my open trailer and put the mower and tools in the garage. The cars still fit in also. After the first week or so I got lazy or smart and now just back the loaded trailer in the garage and leave the cars outside.
  8. Sprinkler Buddy

Sprinkler Buddy LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

That's how most of us start out and many never leave the garage. Once one can afford an enclosed trailer, it can open the garage space back up if so desired by the wife. lol
  9. macgyver_GA

macgyver_GA LawnSite Senior Member

I use half of my 2 car garage to park/store my equipment & trailer. I am still able to park one vehicle in the garage. However, when I buy my skid sprayer next month, I'm still trying to figure out where to keep it. I may have to start renting a small storage unit to keep some stuff.
  10. pseudosun

pseudosun LawnSite Bronze Member

It's all i've ever done; can't really see a downside to it.